Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Honey Bee

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaydin56
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:12 am
PostPost subject: Another King 3 Question

Thanks PJ and tombo for the quick responses, now I have another question. It seems my Honeybee III wants to spin on it's axis and won't get airborne at full throttle. Battery might be the issue with the lack of thrust, but I know it doesn't have anything to do with the spinning.

The tail seems to want to be stuck going to the left when I've got the gyro set in the switch up mode, and doesn't want to return to center. With it in the switch down mode, it'll move one way or the other, but I've got to input to bring it back to center. The lack of thrust at full throttle despite heavy RPMs isn't my major concern right now, it's the spinning caused by the tail blades wanting to remain stuck in the nose left position, I've recently repaired the tail and boom, (as in just fifteen minutes ago) and everything's tight and good. I'm truly at a loss here.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Jaydin56:

First let me say I wish you would update your location in you profile. It's nice to see were folks are located.

You said that you had to replace the tail boom. Which means that you must have done some tail motor work also. I'm assuming that you did some soldering work on the motor. Is it possible that you may have reversed the wires when you put the motor back on the boom?

I'm always impressed with how many parts on these helis are the same. That honeybee looks like my Falcon 40 V2 little brother. with the exception of the landing skids it looks like a Falcon 40. Same almost everything. On the Falcon 40 the red wire is on the top of the motor as it is affixed to the tail assembly. Black on the bottom. See attached picture. Note the position of all the components on the head of the motor and be sure your Honeybee looks the same. That's a new Falcon in the picture. Never need flown so it's as it came from the factory. Still smells like China.

The nasty spin I would think could cause problems getting off the ground. Me thinks if we fix the spin she will fly.

Hope it helps.
Jaydin56
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 am
PostPost subject:

Another great and quick response, thank you PJ. Actually the King III is a belt driven tail system

Location updated as well Smile

I thought maybe the belt was at fault, but I double checked the slack only to find there is none, and no slipping when I run the throttle up. However, the tail blades are stuck in a position that they're pushing it tail right/nose left. I think a servo horn might be the cause, or possibly a bad tail servo in general, because I'm hearing a servo hum when I plug in. But I may be way off base and be hearing the gyro. Since I'm still green at this, I'm not entirely sure
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Jaydin56,

Yes like Pjdog says "Please fill in your location." It is very handy to know where people are. No good me recommending a good model shop near me is it? (Even if I had one.)

I assume that you have the belt driven tail and collective pitch on your HBK 3.
In that case you need to go through a tail setup. You don't say what gyro mode you are switching to and switch up or down means nothing to me as I do not have an HBK 3. However, it sounds as if the head lock is almost working but the rate mode is nowhere near. Try following this link for a general tail set up, but make sure your battery is good and fully charged first. It is quite possible for it to effect the heading hold if the charge is low.

As to the "No lift." Have you checked with a pitch gauge the pitch values against the pitch curves? If the blades are not being given enough pitch the heli will never lift off.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 am
PostPost subject:

Sorry Jaydin56:

I looked up the honeybee III not the king III.
Jaydin56
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 am
PostPost subject:

PJDog: no problem, there's so many honeybees out there it's almost scary LOL

Tombo, I'll try that set up tonight. As for the no lift, I honestly think a battery charging is in order, doesn't seem like it was getting full RPM when I decided to say 'fudge it' and put the throttle full tilt. Because it would start trying to skate the first two or three times, which indicates lift, but I..like a coward..lowered the throttle back down to keep from seeing a mini-tornado of heli parts LMAO. I'll keep the two of you posted on this. I'm also gonna try resetting that servo horn, it might be the culprit here.

PJ: I've got my eye set on the HBK II FP for indoors since my Walkera decided to destroy the receiver and motor lead, (that was the third receiver and second motor). Might actually go with a Falcon40 though. We'll see .
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 pm
PostPost subject:

Jaydin56:

you won't be disappointed with the Falcon 40 V2. That's one tough little helicopter. I've got one that I've never flown. I bought it to see where everything goes because when I first started helicopters I put my first Falcon into the barn full tilt. Busted allot of parts. But it was easy to repair. If your going to fly helicopters you got to know how to repair. Part of the game.

If your going to get a FP helicopter get one that's brushless motored and belt or shaft drive to the tail. One like that runs about $ 170.00 US. Falcon, Walkera and Esky make fp's for around $ 100.00 or a little less. Tail motor replacement is easy but frustrating. Because it messes with you before you realize that it's the tail motor that's failing. I get between 25 and 35 flights before the tail motor fails. I keep 2 or 3 in the parts box at all times. I got spare motors for all my helicopters so I don't have to wait on parts orders.

I've had real good luck with Exceed falcons. Exceed is a Walkera. The Falcon is a Walkera # 4. But I think the Exceed radio is better? I see lots of complaints about Walkera radios. But never an Exceed radio?

Everybody seems to be out-of-stock on Falcon 40's. Even Exceed is showing out-of-stock. I got the market cornered on Falcons.

Jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Honey Bee All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: