Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the image Platinum. It illustrates my point very nicely.

Skyepunhcer, you are right. The "expo thing" doesn't come into play with the stock Txs. The suggestions here are only a "workaround" to help jittery or nervous pilot fingers Confused However, this applies to indoor flying only or zero wind condition. I don't think that this (reduced servo travel), will be a good thing when flying in the slightest of breezes. One will need the max control.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Well one cheap way of doing something similar on the stock gear would be to move your links a little closer to the servo pivots. That would give a similar softening 'expo' effect and reduce the 'rate'.

As you can see Folks, I only claimed a similar effect NOT the same effect. Fact is, as you say, the servo around center will move with the stick, but not as much as the total movement will be less. If you move the stick to get to the same link deviation as before you will require more stick movement. This increased stick movement for the same response is only similar to expo. However, the rate is very similar.

Our member was looking for a way to tame the heli down a little using the stock Tx. I was merely trying to help him out without causing him any expence.

Caused an interesting dicussion though. Wink

Tom.
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm
PostPost subject:

Something else w.r.t. my crash I was totally amazed at the Big Lama's unbelievable "concrete seeking ability" and to "home in" on it. This spot being the only 1 meter wide path in a park the size of a football field. Sad

This crash resulted, amongst other damage, bent inner and outer shafts. Both were replaced but the heli had vibration and the inner shaft had a distinct wobble. Blades were tracking terribly. First thoughts were that my supplier supplied me with faulty shafts ?? On closer investigation, after dismantling the whole thing again, doing all sorts of tests and measurements, I found that this was not the case. The new shafts were running true. Why was the inner shaft then running wobbly?

The answer was in the outer shaft's top bearing collar. Once removed and replaced, it wobbles. Replaced with a new one also wobbles. It seems that during factory assembly that there could be a special process, maybe heating, to centre the collar properly. (see the lines on the collar as if a crimping tool was used to fit it)
The solution was to get an Esky metal bearing collar (comes with bearing), installed it, and..
Wobble gone.
Vibration gone.
Blade tracking normal.

Flies like a dream.

Last edited by St Bosse on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 pm
PostPost subject: Big Lama COG shifted forward

I also did the modification to my Big Lama by moving the COG forward. I did this by moving the Lipo battery forward by +/- 60% from the original position. This makes the BL nose heavy and a aft cyclic trim adjustment is obviously necessary to get stationary hover.

I did the test flights yesterday and a noticeable improvement is present when it comes to forward flying into a head wind. The heli has a more level forward flight instead of the previous climb when fighting the wind.

Please Note: I am NOT talking gail force wind here Rolling Eyes Still only the slightest of breezes. Although I suppose, a 5mph wind is in the eyes of the BOL a gail force wind . Wink
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: