Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Big Lama Cam Ship #1 LOST IT!!! - Video (Read 92 times)

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 am
PostPost subject: Big Lama Cam Ship #1 LOST IT!!! - Video (Read 92 times)

One for the books folks! Read before watching video!

Well I haven't flown much in the last couple weeks, a combination with doctors getting my hearing back and darn off shore winds. I did manage to get ship #1 with the new canopy up, blades tracked and trimmed the other day before the winds picked up. This morning it was calm and was supposed to be so charged all my batteries and planned on flying all 3 ships this morning.

Decided to fly my best heli cam ship #1 first. Ended up being the only flight lol! Wind was dead calm and brought her to a hover and all was right on. Began a nice flight and decided since it was calm to get in some altitude flying. The flight was going well and a couple minutes into the flight as I was out over the highway I noticed a slight breeze, not enough to panic over.... unless you were at high altitude! Rolling Eyes I noticed the upper winds had picked up and I was having an hell of a time getting it back over my flying field. Half way through the flight I realized I was in serious trouble! I was over the highway and the off shore upper winds took her across the highway, over the housing track! By now I was fighting it pretty good to get it back and realized it wasn't gonna happen and resigned to the fact I was gonna let her go out to sea or put her down somewhere! I had little time with the unexpected winds coming up! It got to the point at the end orientation was nill! I decided to ease of the throttle and descend in altitude and get about roof top level then slowly chop the throttle. I had no idea where it would end up. It was about a half mile away. Shocked

In the pic below is a view of my flying field and heli-pad and you can see the housing track across the highway. To give you and idea the ocean is just beyond the homes as you'll see from the flight video. It went down in the back area to the left where you see the homes and the group of trees off to the left with the ocean right behind them.

I took off in the car in search. I really didn't expect to find it and imagined is was in a tree, on a roof or in brush or something. About 30 minutes I had one more place to cruise and low and behold there it was in a very small vacant lot on a corner just a few feet from a house. I was just glad I didn't find a vehicle or house damaged or worse yet some guy down in his yard lmao! Now this took a wee bit of good flying skill, but mainly a LOT OF GOOD LUCK! Cool

Damage report... Broken Super Skids (went straight down), one blade and the canopy got jacked up on the right side since skids let go. That's all I can tell at this point, everything else looks fine. The cam mount separated on impact and cam had a small crack in the back of the case that can mend, but the cam is OK!? Cam was still filming when I got there. Total 30+ minute record time lol! Here's the flight video from take off to crash landing. Video is in HD (720p) and best viewed in YouTube. Feel free to stop by our public Big Lama Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ESkyBigLamaPage

Link
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 am
PostPost subject:

Very lucky that it didn't come down in the middle of the highway and cause a serious accident. Rolling Eyes
One incident like that could cause severe negative public opinion towards the RC hobby and lead to serious restictions in where or even if we can fly.
That being said, I'm happy you found it and it wasn't a total loss and nobody was hurt.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm
PostPost subject:

Any heli can come down anywhere and cause issues. Yep I'm glad there was no injury or damage to others or property. I had control over it over the highway and purposely took it west since the head wind was to great to get it back.

Anytime you put any rc aircraft in the air there is potential. From brown outs, equipment failure to pilot error can happen. I've been in a few situations I put a heli in the ground purposely in order to avoid such. I've been at events at AMA flying fields in the wide open and witnessed accidents. All part of flying and the hobby. This one is the only one that's ever got away from me and thankful it turned out the way it did. Damage to heli wasn't my concern although it fared well and is back in the air already.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 am
PostPost subject:

Glad to hear it wasn't a total loss.
So when are you going to fly to the top of the "Rock" ? I'm really looking foward to seeing that flight! Best of luck when you go for it, I'll keep my fingers crosse... you can do it.
One of these days I'll get around to uploading vids shot from my quad copter, but right now still picking up after "Sandy".
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 pm
PostPost subject:

Boy! Were you lucky to find it Tony and not too badly damaged either. At roof-top level the wind may have allowed you to get it back, but crossing the highway at that altitude is not a good idea.

It is surprising how much the winds vary as you climb to different levels (that's how you try to navigate a balloon), even at sea the wind 10' up can be quite stronger than that at sea level.

Best to check the weather with great care next time. Good luck!

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 am
PostPost subject:

Howdy from SC. Been away awhile. Got lost in the world of multi-rotor. Although its really cool nothing takes me too far from my Big Lama. I just got my OD green body back in shape and mounted and its flying great. Looks like 1971 all over again. Love it. The multi-rotors are nice. I mean you can pick up a brick and fly but my Big Lama is my favorite. Tried some video today but it turned out really shaky. Guess I'll need to redo my cam mount. Anyway, howdy all.

Tom
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 am
PostPost subject:

Well; Howdy there Tom and back.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: