Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 pm
PostPost subject: Blade CX3

Hi All, I picked up a new Blade CX3 at the LHS this week and thought I'd give you little review.
It flew great right out of the box, the only adjustment I needed was on the gyro. The tail was hunting a little so I needed to turn down the gyro gain just a bit.
It's basically a CX2 except for
1-Fuselage of course (MD520N). Very cool looking design & paint job. A little shorter then CX2 and very robust looking. The open windows on the sides offer great ventilation to cool the motors & the 3in1 is easy to get at to make adjustments if needed.
Down sides are it's one piece not two like the CX2, so crack it up and you have to replace the whole fuse, not just the front or back half (more$$). The one piece fuse makes it harder to work on the heli as the blades must be removed to get at the frame or inner workings. But chances are if you need to get to the inner workings, the blades have already been busted off Rolling Eyes
2-New gyro in the 3in1 holds better now and has a sensing wire that can be pluged into the Rx (gear ch). It's great to be able to adjust the gyro gain "on the fly" from the Tx. No more having to land, power down, take the nose off, hunt for a little screwdriver...
3-Landing gear is now one piece and screw to the battery holder/ frame. Again, more $$ to replace them. The struts are longer, so the heli sits a bit taller now. This may lead to more tip overs at takeoff & landing if your not careful.
That's all I have for now. Hopefully the weather will get better soon and I'll get it outside and open this bird up a little. Twisted Evil
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:19 pm
PostPost subject:

Thank you very much for the review. Wink

I for one have been wondering what the difference were between the Blade Cx2 and Cx3.
bladerookie
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 pm
PostPost subject:

Picked up a Blade CX3 myself. Didn't know you could plug the Gyro sensor into the receiver. How do you adjust the Gyro once you have done this?
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 am
PostPost subject:

Adjustment is via the knob, top right hand side of the Tx (CH 5). Turning it counter clockwise for less gain clockwise for more. Generally I keep mine set with the indent on the top of the knob in the 11 o'clock, YMMV.
( For quick reference I put a stripe of white paint on the knob that faces up when looking down at the TX). I tend to add a little more gain for FF flight or less for just hovering around.
This gyro seems to have a very fine line between holding well vs hunting so it's good to be able to adjust it on the fly.
rbgrn
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:11 am
PostPost subject:

Ahh nuts, more helis to buy. I had a CX2 but gave it to my friend when I moved, keeping only my Rex 450.

Dumb thumbs, since I don't have a CX3, could you do me a favor and look at this repair guide I wrote? http://www.rbgrn.net/content/19-how-to-replace-blade-cx2-rotor-blade

I want to make sure that it applies to the CX3 as well. I think they have the same blades but I haven't had my hands on one so I can't check.

Thanks!!
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:37 am
PostPost subject:

Yes, the CX2 & CX3 use the same blades and rotor heads so blade replacement is identical. Nice work on the step by step instructions Cool
Good point you make about replacing both blades but may not be necessary however. Staped on the top of each blade at the root is a number & letter (uasually). If they match then the blades came from the same mold and will most likely be well balanced. Still, it doesn't hurt to check the balance on a pair just to be sure.
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 am
PostPost subject:

My CX3 is giving me trouble. It did fine right out of the box, but after the inevitable (for me) series of blade strikes, the swash plate separated and it became unpredictable - to say the least!

My LHS diagnosed the problem and snapped the plate back together; it flew OK once or twice; but now I find it's hard to control in ground effect, though once in a 2-3 foot hover, I can do much better. (I'm getting pretty good with the CX2 on Phoenix, too.)

I notice that the blades spin up at different rates when I advance the throttle - the upper blades spin first, then the lower. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?

I've got the aluminum swash plate but haven't installed it due to laziness. Would that make a difference?

Doc
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:27 am
PostPost subject:

Oh definitely get that alum swash on.
You might not notice it flying any better, but you don't have to worry about it coming apart on you in mid flight.
As far as blades spooling up at different rates- It's all good so long as you don't need lots of rudder trim on the Tx.
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:25 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks! I'll do 'er.

Regarding the skids, there's an "unbreakable" (Ha!) set along with the requisite new battery box for the CX3 - I've installed but not flight-tested them. Now I'll have to remove them to install the Al swash plate. Aaarrggh!

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

Doc
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 pm
PostPost subject:

One more question from the newbie - when I reassemble my little jewel, does it make any difference where I hook up the flybar link? There are 2 possibilities, but it looks as if they'd be symmetrical with 45 degrees of lead/trail in relation to the blades.

Doc
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:24 am
PostPost subject:

No difference at all FlyDoc, just connect her as she lies and she'll be right!
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks - again - Tombo.

Doc
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:56 am
PostPost subject:

Hello Flydoc:

Thanks for the 'boomtownhobbies' site. I checked them out and found the metal swash, rotor hub and cnc anti collar for the MSR. I've been looking for them but could never find them all at the same site. Ordered them at 11:09 am this day and they were confirmed shipped but 6:30 pm this day. That's good service.

Jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Review All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: