View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chain
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:46 pm
PostPost subject:

Lee ALmond wrote:
Hey Chain,
I have to agree, I also have a small space to fly. That's where the Mcx comes into play. I just don't want to ding my CX2 indoors. But living in Kansas one has to get out of bed early in the morning to fly in calm wind. Been too long since the CX2 has been in the air. Maybe someday when I get the cash I will upgrade to another eggbeater that can withstand more wind. Spin like no tomorrow. Have a good one.
Lee,

I grew up in Kansas, live in Oklahoma now. Still lots of wind. I get my outdoor flights at 11 PM but still those are far and few between.

Love the MCX indoors, it does not get any better for easy flight.
luvdisstuff
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm
PostPost subject:

I have 2 of them and am becoming more and more disgusted with the product. It does work good out of the box but it breaks down easily and just does not have durable components in it. My first one lasted about 20 flights before it lost power and refuses to fly. The second one came out of the box screwed up and I exchanged it. I like the way they fly when they fly but they break down easily and the components dont last. If i could return them I would but now i have them and try to make the best of it. If you buy one of these be prepared for alot of down time as these dont seem to be built to last very long. At this price your better off flying those disposable 3 channel jobs. Again Its hard to believe how little you actually get for your money although the thing flys well when it flys. I would not suggest this for a beginner unless you want to spend more time repairing than flying. I am not happy with this product due to the durability issues. I would not suggest anyone buy one of these unless you want to spend all of your time figuring out why it wont work. I know most reviews have praised this model but the truth is its not very durable and I feel like I was ripped off at these prices. I am going to try a Walkera 5G6 which I ordered. I hope its better than this.
cgage
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:10 pm
PostPost subject:

I disagree. First of all, this activity is not a toy. The whole thing is a technological challenge. That's half the fun of it. You DO have to do maintanance on these or any birds. I've changed flybars, blades, inner shafts, dreamed, meditated, spent days studying the forums - and I'm not a mechanic by profession (although I used to be a long time ago.) I'm just a school teacher who got into this so I could teach my students about flight.
Changing brands to that one you mentioned? no lo recommendo! Eflite is the top brand in this price range. I have four eflites. The other brand went in the garbage.
If you think this is expensive, try owning a ski boat.
luvdisstuff
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:41 am
PostPost subject:

how are ya cgage. I understand what your saying about the hobby aspect of this and I do not mind some down time for repairs and mods. But what I'm saying is I am totally unhappy with the durability issue. I mean should the thing be malfunctioning a fter 20 flights with NO real crashes just some hard landings. My cheapo 3 channels seem more durable. Like I said this thing does fly pretty sweet when its flying. But the reasons for my down time seem to be cheap unreliable electronics. I think the thing should be a little more durable than the cheap 3 channel jobs. Thats all I'm saying. Especially for the price. I'll let you know how the Walkera 5g6 is. If it is as cheap as the mcx than i'm going to sell everything on e-bay cheap and find a new hobby.
Lee ALmond
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 am
PostPost subject:

Hey luvdisstuff,
How ya doing. I have a CX2 and have only done one rebuild, my bad. I am not taking sides by any means but the problem could be with mass manufacturing, poor QC on the day your ship was built. ect. ect. Also do you live in a moist enviroment? If you fly where there is 90% humidity then this could come into play with your bird. I live in Kansas and we have high humidity in the spring and summer. 90% humidity and 100 deg. is a norm. I have a buddy who flew his CX2 like a madman on calm mornings in the spring and summer and then had a very cool crash! LOL! Laughed my butt off.......told him "don't go there & do that". Anyway, after we disassembled the bird we found green corrosion on the electronic plate. Interesting. Come to find out my buddy was leaving the CX2 on the back deck (under a roof) during the day and night. All the moisture found it's way to the board. Sorry for the longwinded note.
Spin it up ya all.........Peace.
Lee,
luvdisstuff
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Well I,m back here again to bitch about the mcx. Neither one is flying now although they both still work. They just dont fly anymore. One of them will not power uo enough to fly . It just sits there on the ground spinning like crap going down the toilet bowl. The other one is a biger piece of crap. After 4 flights one of the little white gears at the bottom of the copter in front of the battery cage popped out of the bottom and I dont know how to make it stay in position. Now with that gear popping down I have no flight control. This is after only 4 flights. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to repair or what is wrong. If not someone can make me a fair offer for 2 mcx, 2 remotes with 2 chargers and 4 batteries and I will sell this pile of shit. If no suggestions on repair and no fair offer I will make a video off me burning the entire pile of shit and post it. Let me know. I cant wait to get my 5g6. I think it seems like better quality than mcx. If like ccage says e-flitw is the nest than I'm running from this hobby. It already seems worse than a job and I dont really need that. Let me know folks.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am
PostPost subject:

Mine is grounded as well. The upper rotor doesn't change speed when I give it rudder input. This means replacing the 5-in-1, but that's like $60 Shocked I only paid $100 for the BNF version and I'm in no rush to spend any more money on it. Spring is just around the corner so it will just be gathering dust till next winter anyway. Maybe by than E-Flight will have come out with a MCXv2. Think abou it... Blade CX, CX2 and now the CX3. Blade CP, CPPro, PRO 2... They rush to get these things on the market and leave "US" to find the design flaws.
luvdisstuff
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 am
PostPost subject:

hey Dumb Thumbe you are all over the place. Thanks for your respons to my woes in another thread. I have seriosly calmed down at this point and am reading the manual and reaching out for info on repairing my bird. The servo pushrod links are both attached to the swashplate yet the pushrod still goes down and disengages those little gears in front of the battery cage. I cant see why its slipping. The little gear just whines when I press the controls as it disengaes. Does anybody know what might cause this.
luvdisstuff
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 am
PostPost subject: pinion

dumb thumbs. did you check the motor pinions. Thats what kept mine grounded. You will only need a motor for about 9.00.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:24 am
PostPost subject:

Turns out it was a burnt motor, so I've replaced them both and am flying again. A good way to check motors I've found is to use rudder trim lever at very low throttle stick to get the motors to spin slowly. First one then the other. If they don't spin at about the same speed it may be a bad motor. Second test is to then switch motor wire plugs on the Rx board. If the same motor doesn't spin as before then for sure it's that motor is gone, but if it does then it may be the 5-in-1 that is shot.
roguepink
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 am
PostPost subject:

Been flying an MCX for over a year now. I have replaced every part except the tail boom. Let me clarify that I consider this very good. I use ease of repair and parts availability as a selling point. I use the MCX as an in-store demonstrator for customers to fly. Yes, I put the TX in the hands of never-flow-anything-before novices and let them fly. Given the amount of abuse this thing takes, I'm incredibly pleased with it. I can get first-time fliers up with a stable hover in 2 minutes. Many of my customers have had those $30 toys. EACH AND EVERY ONE has said, after spending two minutes with the MCX in my store, and a well-abused one, that it is totally superior in every respect, well worth the $100 or $120 for a RTF box. To quote several of them, "I can actually FLY this one!"
Pathfinder
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 am
PostPost subject:

Hello, my very first post so here goes!

I brought a cheap 3 channel micro heli from one of the 'gadget' shops. Seemed OK at the start, but of course the inevitable happened. Wall met heli and a pile of bits on the floor was the result. Back to gadget shop only to find NO SPARES! Searched internet and no luck, so went to local model shop who said I was not the first (or last) person to make that mistake. They demonstrated the Blade MCX and then handed me the control! What a differance, take off straight into a stable hover. Moved the heli left, right, up down, backwards forwards. Looked a bit of a toy in the box, but as soon as airborn, navigation lights flashing, it looked great and so easy to fly. Left the shop with one new BladeMCX and a spare battery.

One tip they give me was to remove the small screw at the top of the flybar. If you have a bad crash the flybar pops out instead of breaking and you just clip it back in again. 3 months later I have flown this almost every day, no breakages and the bug has gripped me. I now also have a a fixed pitch Honey Bee v2 for outdoors (a definate step up in flying skills required) but it can also survive a 'medium' crash unscathed, and an Art Tech Genius 450 collective pitch . Have flown the Genius 6 times and crashed twice recking main blades, swash plate, tail boom (despite training gear). So now gaining more experience on the Hony Bee before attempting the Genius 450 again.

I still fly the Blade MCX most days indoors (buzzing the wife, cat & dog) and have two friends that after having 'had a go' also now purchased this heli as a first step into the hobby.

Everyone has their own opinion on which is the best first RC heli, but I would recomend that you go to your local model shop and try out the Blade MCX alongside a few others and make up your own mind. They probably have a web site so make sure they are not charging you more in the shop. Also whichever one you chose, check that parts are readily available.

I am off tomorrow to check out a local RC Heli club and hopefully gain some first hand advice on how to set up and fly my Genius 450 as I am now well and truly hooked. Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:58 pm
PostPost subject:

+1 on that Pathfinder,

Only thing I would add is get a simulator for the progression to single rotor. It will save the cost of many repairs as well as the time doing them. There are many free ones FMS is very popular but not up to the purchased ones. I use ClearView and hard to beat at $40 USD for a lifetimes' use with free updates and support second to none. Check the forum here.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Review All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: