Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:39 am
PostPost subject: Did it

Hi all, after weeks of making sure everything was right, today I finally did it.
I maiden my 550, not flown but hovered in a 10'x10' clear space in the garden. One word: awesome. It lift straight up and it stayed there without moving as if it was held on a string, there was a slight wag but it was soon correct it by changing the 3G sensor to small heli. If anyone has any doubt about flybarless don't be put off or scared, I was, lifting off is much more easy than a FB machine so is the landing, tail gear are much more stronger than I thought and do not need to rush the landing, on mine anyway, as it's quite happy at couple of inches off the floor without tipping over, thanks crashgain for tip about the mod. This machine has made me appreciate even more the 3D guys skills, how the hell they throw such a big and powerful machine in those maneuvers is beyond me. One thing for sure, I'll never go back to flybared machines if I can help.
Enjoy your flying.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 am
PostPost subject: post subject

great stuff flyby,
you are gonna have us all dribbling after that description. my t-rex 450 pro hovers like its glued in place but i want a 550 now. i read a write up on that heli in a mag and the guy said it was a fantastic machine. it looks like flybarless will soon be the norm. the torque tube tails are superb as well i think.
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 am
PostPost subject:

Hi chopper, get one, you won't be sorry. They are easy to build but you do have to take a bit more care in making sure that the swash is leveled and the swash arms are in phase, that's it. Programming the 3G is also easy, is the tweaking of the software that I waste it time with, and then decided to go for defaults except for the gyro I have it set for small heli, but I'm thinking of reducing the total rudder gain so I can then dial it up in the tx when I change it to bigger heli gain, so far is working ok, just been picky.
Tarot are planning a 550e which is basically a direct copy of the align one, so it should be a bit cheaper but don't know if they plan a FBL. At one point I thought that I had bitten more than I could chew, I was contempleting getting a FB head for it because I felt so much out of my depth, but persevered and I'm glad that I did, the noise, the presence in the air and the power of it have made it all worthwhile. The other positive is I can help other members if they get one (another hint).
Cheers
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:51 am
PostPost subject: post subject

tempting as it is i must get a few months under my belt with the t-rex 450 pro before i get any thing bigger. ive only had it a couple of months and the weather is turning nice now so maybe next year for the bigger boy.
good luck with your new bird and enjoy. Cool
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:30 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks chopper.
Cheers
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:38 am
PostPost subject:

Interesting write up there Flyby, when I've got all the jobs done here and scored enough 'Brownie Points' I might just join you. On the other hand there is that big DR1 that I've been after for years! Bet it won't hover as well though.

Tom.
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:56 am
PostPost subject:

Hello Tom, nice to hear from you. It is a nice bird, great size to work on and none of the small fiddly bits. I only wish I lived closer so you could have a go at flying it, I think you would fall in love as well. I know it sound crazy, but I find myself clean and polishing it which i never done with my other helis, suppose is because of the size of the canopy, it's huge, and it looks a million dollars when it's shining. I hope you'll get the DR1 soon. Thanks again for your help and support, it has been vital for me to reach this stage.
Cheers

PS Shall I consider myself a beginner intermediate now? LOL
Scott
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 am
PostPost subject:

Good for You Flyby. You seem pretty stoked. Happy for You.
Scott
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 am
PostPost subject:

YEAH FLYBY!!!!!
Awsome to hear..Those 550's are sweet machines huh??
I try to tell people about the flybarless, it's the way to go.
I am picking up another BeastX for my Trex 600 sunday.
When you lift off, they just sit there. Last weekend I had a friend standing next to me and he asked me how stable they were. I flipped my heli upside down, hovered it about 1' off the deck and held out the radio in my palms.
I said " About that stable." His jaw nearly hit the floor.. Can't way to finish my 600 with the same system.
Congrats on getting your new bird in the air. Wait till you really start to fly her. The response is going to blow you away..
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am
PostPost subject:

GRATZ!!! It is a great feeling isn't it?
I hope to do the same thing tomorrow, hopefully it will be a great week for helis! Very Happy
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:19 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi all, sorry guys for not answering sooner, been away.
Thanks Scott and Trouble much appreciate your support.
Crash, thanks again for the tip on the mod, it hold really nice, remember I was worried about lifting it? Well, I just take off slowly as normal but without any ailerons and she goes straight up, same for landing, I get to an inch off the floor and the put her down. You were/are right about FBL it is the way to go and to any new starters in the hobby I would say get yourself a 450/500 FBL, very easy to build set-up and repair, you will progress much quicker. I took longer because, even though I did the build and set-up as per manual, I couldn't believe it was so simple and beginning to question myself if I had missed out something, but the hours spent on the net for research and the wait has been worth it.
Thank again to all of you for the great support, I always said it, and I will again, this forum might not be the biggest, but is certainly the best.
Cheers
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 pm
PostPost subject:

Man, ya'll are killin' me on this FBL thing!! Sounds soo nice! Grrrr....ahh, just gonna have to wait a bit, I traded myself into oblivion almost to get these 600s', I gots nuttin' left!! Crying or Very sad Well, on the bright side the price might even be lower in a coupla months!! hehe Wink
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 am
PostPost subject: New 500

Flyby, I agree with you. I just maidened my Trex 500 flybarless and it's the finest flying heli I ever had my hands on. My interest in flybarless started with the Blade mCPX. It is extremely stable and comes straight up after spool up. I ask my LHS if the big helis were stable like that and he said sure. So all the time I wa building my 500 I'm thinking he's not telling me all the facts, but this heli comes right up off the ground as straight and stable as can be. I'm hooked on flybarless and I hope I enjoy mine as much as you are enjoying yours.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:23 am
PostPost subject:

My question is ...

How much of the FBL stability is down to having a 3 axis Gyro instead of the standard HH/yaw gyro that a FB machine has ?

And here's a stupid question ....

What would be effect if you installed a 3 axis Gyro on a Flybar machine ? Is it possible in fact ? (My initial thought is that such a mod would lessen the learning curve to fly, but being easier may not be a good thing in the long run ?)
Flyby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 am
PostPost subject:

Hi guys,
@ trouble, hang on a bit a 3GX should be here very soon. It is just one unit which incorporates the gyro, the governor and a rx capable of using dsm2/dsx satellites not so sensitive as to where is positioned either, unlike mine.

@ moparherb, they are great machines, unlike you, for me trying a FBL was the price difference between the two version. I'm glad that the difference was only a £100.00 but to be honest I wouldn't have minded having the FB, is the way it has been "hybred" that makes the right balance.

@ solentlife, the two version of the heli are just as stable, the difference is in the flying feel. With the FBL you get an almost "sim" feel, a bit disconnect it as you don't have to continuously correct the heli, but you soon get used to it and gives you more confidence in pushing it a little bit more.
The idea of 3 axis gyro is not new, it has been used for years by scale flyers, one gyro on each aileron, elevator and tail and then connect it together, and they were all home made. Now we have he luxury of having them made for us.

I have seen a mod of a FBL Blade with just the tail gyro, very twitchy but still flyable. Personally I do not think possible adding a 3 axis gyro to a FB machine as the flybar cage is doing the same thing but with slightly less aerodynamically, and you would have the two system fighting for control of the heli. FBL machines might be, for whatever reason, more stable but, they are not more easier to fly than FB, matter of fact I had to drop my swash mix to Ail 40%, Ele 40% and Pit 50% with 30% expo on 100% and 20% at 80% rates with +10 collective pitch and +8 on cyclic, because they are much more responsive and crisp than a FB machine.
Whereas on my Blades I use Ail 90%, Ele 90% and Pit 100% full rates and 10% expo.
There is no "magic" heli that will lessen the learning curve and as far am concerned the curve will never go away, there is always something to learn, someone once said: helis are easy to learn, but difficult to master.
Take care and enjoy you flying
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: