Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:30 am
PostPost subject: eSky Big Lama Tech Tip #7 “Rotor Blades”

In this tech tip I got over the basics of the rotor blades and what I use. I mention some of the after market blades which of most are great, but can get a tad expensive and I prefer the ones I use which are more cost effective. The video is pretty self explanatory. If you have questions/comments feel free to post them here in the video, forum or on our Big Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ESkyBigLamaPage Video is in HD (720p) and best viewed in YouTube.

The “Walkera” type Blades I mention can be purchased from the below link. Much cheaper than stock blades though I do as I explain in the video keep several sets of each on hand.... Here’s the link to those blades.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757119213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Link
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:38 am
PostPost subject:

Nice tip there on fatigue Tony.

I don't agree on no balancing if you're going to run a camera. In fact any vibration that badly upsets video can upset your gyro, so I always like to check that the blades balance before fitting them. Saves time investigating later.

Re tightness of blades:
While they shouldn't drop when the heli is tipped sideways a stiff upward jerk in this position should cause them to drop to about 45º from the horizontal and all by the same amount. It's the uniformity of the friction that is vital here. They should never drop with gravity, there should be more friction than that.

Altogether though a really good tip, well thought out and very useful. Great link too, always a good idea that.

Tom.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am
PostPost subject:

Agreed Tom Smile As far as balancing my blades I've tried a few times, but had never been needed to, in my cases anyway. As you've seen my videos are pretty stable and if they weren't I'd certainly check the blades. Wink On my CP's I most definitely balance blades. With my BOL I've never gained anything form it so maybe I'm on a lucky streak? On the 45* drop I agree and that's about where mine are. I used to keep them so loose they'd fall all the way in a slight tilt and drop driving me crazy not to mention you can actually get a strike if the glades aren't pre-positioned before spooling with them like that. Rolling Eyes
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 pm
PostPost subject:

My wife thinks that balancing blades is a job that cannot be interupted, so as well as a balanced set or two in hand I manage to get a break from the "Not very calm today, can we get some gardening done?" or even worse "As you not going out; the kitchen needs painting!"

Always handy to have the odd indoor 'uninteruptable job' to finish off first! Cool "Just have to finish this balancing! Can't be left it'll all go wrong.". One of the possibly better ones is "This is that 10 min epoxy here and I have to keep the pressure on until it's set!" Waves free hand and makes coffee sign. Razz
There are many different levels in priority.

Tom.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
"This is that 10 min epoxy here and I have to keep the pressure on until it's set!" Waves free hand and makes coffee sign. Razz
There are many different levels in priority. Tom.

I now have a new technique!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: