Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
PostPost subject: eSky Big Lama Tech Tips Part #3 Dealing with Vibrations

Below is part #3 of our series of tech tip videos for the Big Lama. It's long, but contains good info. In this video we discuss issue and most likely cause of vibrations. It is important to have you heli as vibration free as possible in order for a good flight/operation as well as good videos inf you use a cam or plan on it. As per the video please click the like or dislike link in the video so we can determine if our efforts to help others are worthwhile and whether to continue. If you have specific questions regarding this video and information please post to this thread and myself or Spoon will answer. Anyone feel free to add info as well. Video is in in HD (720p) and best viewed in YouTube. Feel free to stop by our public Big Lama Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ESkyBigLamaPage

Link
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Great vid for first time owners Tony, just one thing puzzles me Confused .

You say to track the lower blade adjust both links as they must remain the exactly same length. Surely that will not change the blade angles if they remain the same length. What it will do is effect the pitch as the lower blade hub is fixed in height to the outer shaft while the swash is free to slide on it. Therefore, shortening the links will tilt the swash back and lengthening the links will tilt it forward.

I think that the problem of tracking the lower blade (rarely required as you say) is that height taken of one link must be put onto the other, or all you will do is tilt the swash. This then follows your top blade tracking instructions as when you adjust that link the other side moves in the opposite direction.

Just a thought.

Tom.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Actually Tom Spooner tried this with success with no affect to the swash. The reason being "I believe" is that the swash itself isn't actually tilted in the process, but in fact the lower blade grips are (less resistance there), much like the upper blade tracking. What you're doing is essentially the same as the upper blades, changing the pitch a micron to get blades on track. Now if your fly bar had links on both sides you would have to adjust one then the other opposite otherwise you defeat your attempt and place a "bind" on things. I could be wrong, but this lower blade tracking was done successfully by Spooner with no ill affect to the swash. Now if you didn't keep the links the same length yes I can see it affecting the swash. Just my "guessing mind" at work here Wink Maybe Spoon will jump in and explain it better?

As stated though the bottom, blades rarely need tracking.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 am
PostPost subject:

I would like to see that 'Spooner' post Tony. Tried searching but can't find anything. Seems to me, looking at my BL that the swash is held vertically by the two servo links from below and the links to the blades from above. It is free to rise and fall in the antirotation guide. The blades are bolted to the outer shaft, their height cannot change, the blades can only rock with the swash movement. This height is the one constant that you have in the lower blade control. All else will move in flight.

Well I do understand what you are saying, I do not see how it can happen as the swash is free to rise or fall with the servo control; any combined change in the blade links must change its height, by moving it in the anti-rotation bracket. However, as the idea is to rock the blade holders into true horizontal when the swash is horizontal then the links cannot stay the same length.

Tom.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 am
PostPost subject:

Tom, don't think Spooner posted it here. We were messaging back and forth. He was able to adjust the lower blade tracking using the upper links, He stated that in order to do so and I may have phrased it wrong, but he had to take the same amount of turns on the opposite side in the opposite direction for it to work. In other words if he took one tun in on one side the other required a turn out. I'll try to get him to chime in tonight after work. He was successful at the lower blade tracking with this method though, I know that, but think he better explain it lol Wink I hear what you are saying though.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 am
PostPost subject:

firedude52 wrote:
Tom, don't think Spooner posted it here. . . He was able to adjust the lower blade tracking using the upper links, He stated that in order to do so . . . he had to take the same amount of turns on the opposite side in the opposite direction for it to work.

Now that's what I've been saying all along Tony. The height must NOT change only the angle of the blade brackets to the horizontal. Good to know I didn't waste those years in the aero-thermodynamics section of the RAF Cranwell Space Hall.

Tom.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:14 am
PostPost subject:

Tom I have a Lipo stuck in each ear trying to recharge my brain lol. I know what I mean, but sometimes it comes out altogether difference. Need to synchronize brain with keyboard Embarassed
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:29 pm
PostPost subject:

I know just what you mean Tony. "Dyslexia rules KO!" Laughing

I get the same problem with this keyboard, my fingers type in one word and I get something in Klingon on the screen, my spell checker doesn't help 'cos the system is Portugese. Also I find that getting older doesn't help much either, sometimes it takes ages to remember a word in a particular language, keeps coming up in the wrong one! Doesn't help asking for "no onion in the salad" in Portugese with 'onion' in German.

We will survive these setbacks my friend,

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:35 am
PostPost subject:

Well my new motors arrive today so its time to get busy and see what I can do with them. I think I'll put them in the old helo first and then go for the new one. It seems to have the most vibration problems. Its been like that right out of the box. Got rid of most of it by adjusting the gain and the proprotional screws. At least its flying fairly decent now. So the new motors will go into the Military Lama. Still need to put a final coat of clear on it yet. And yeah no decals yet. Oh well, tomorrows another day.

Tom
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: