Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Inquiry about 2.4g Esky Big Lama 4CH

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:03 am
PostPost subject:

so tom, I built another big lama today. its 100 percent stock right now. this one I will load up with as many bright lights as it will carry, and just use it for night flying. Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 pm
PostPost subject:

search-n-destroy wrote:
gone are the days of spending 100's of hours scratch building

Not too sure about that Kevin, I have a yen to make a scratch small delta or a 'Starship Enterprise'. Not decided yet but the out runner motor is about the size of my fingernail so it will really be an indoor/no wind machine. I have some foam chicken meat trays that I think will make the airframe. I estimate some 50 working hours between first line drawn and first flight. Usually my estimates are about a half of the actual time spent!

Even getting a kit into the condition that I want can take many hours, often taking longer to visualise the actual modification required than to finally do it. You'll probably find that with your lights. Have to check the weight that the heli can lift with ease, and then match load to CoG along with vision paths for the lights. Lots of planning before you start there. However, careful planning can save many hours on the workbench.

Good luck with the project,

Tom.

P.S. Just a thought I use T-Rex 450 skids on my B.L. Tougher than standard and quite cheap on Ebay. Have to modify battery holder though, I use Turnigy nanotech 850mha 25~40C 3 cell batteries in my B.L. anyway so they wouldn't fit the stock tray. Smile
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:04 am
PostPost subject:

your right, planning takes a lot more time than building it. I wanted to ask if you have tried these big lama 'high performance' blades. they seem very flimsy compared to the stock ones. are they any good? I had to add a shim to close up the gap in the blade holders. I also made a blade balancer like yours today, and might have to do the t-rex skid mod to carry a larger lipo to power the led lights.

Last edited by search-n-destroy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:11 am
PostPost subject:

Hello Kevin from Wakes UK, really great to see fresh enthusiastic contribution. I like the cutting edge blade balancer. Wink

Burgess.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am
PostPost subject:

Very Happy thanks burgess!
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
[quote= I have a yen to make a scratch small delta or a 'Starship Enterprise'.

I Like the idea of building a small Enterprise out of free food trays.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:50 pm
PostPost subject:

I quite favour the 'Enterprise' too Burgess. Major problem with the foam is that there are very few truly flat pieces of any size. Have to plan the curves into the airfoil sections. Got a strong feeling it might be called 'A Galinha' Portugese for 'The Hen', sounds better than 'Espaço de Frango' = 'Space Chicken' Very Happy .

Kevin, On that heavy lift I was using 'Airy hardened' blades and ball raced motors, both much more efficient than stock and lots of consistent power from the motors. I've never tried the blades that you showed so I can't judge them. Fitting the T-Rex skids only requires drilling a few holes in the skid brackets and knocking up a battery fix. Not my original idea, friend in France did this on his.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 pm
PostPost subject:

tom try looking for your flat foam board at the dollar store or anywhere they sell arts and crafts. I was trying to build a guillows delta dart to drop from big lama. fortunately I found one because they don't make them anymore. where do I get these ball raced motors from? thanks.

tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:01 am
PostPost subject:

Well now Kevin, I got the motors on Ebay but that was quite a few years ago, I'm afraid I don't have a link, you could try a search.

I like the foam panel, but the idea is to use the chicken boxes not buy board. I do have foam board in my stock but that is not a challenge. In any case here in Portugal I would have to use insulating foam from a D.I.Y. House Construction supplier. No such thing as a 'Dollar Store' here.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:31 am
PostPost subject:

I see. So...Tom, can you tell me how I can get my big lama to stay put in a hover and not do that slow circular motion? Toilet bowl effect? Is that from to much gain? Kevin.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:23 am
PostPost subject:

Kevin here's a useful link for ball-raced motor to fit big lama and much more.

http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtreme/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=3397&zenid=144f8cb0a23f75fd734115b1eab06f3a

Burgess
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:37 am
PostPost subject:

Very Happy !
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:42 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Kevin,

You'll also want motor A: http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtreme/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=144f8cb0a23f75fd734115b1eab06f3a&keyword=380BL+Ball+Bearing+Motor-A

Re TBE: If the nose is staying more or less on compass line and not turning then you have genuine TBE. This is caused ONLY by a flybar either not giving the correct information or not giving correct information fast enough.

Main things to check:

1. Flybar is absolutely true with no bends. (Try rolling it on your balancer. Look for wobbles)

2. Flybar is free in its bearings and linkage with no apparent friction.

3. Flybar angle to the blades should be aprox. 45º leading.

The only time the upper blades could effect this would be if the bearings are too stiff. This could be caused by the extra link you put on the head, if there is the slightest misalignment there that could be it. Given a light vertical tap with the top blades in line, the flybar and top blades should rise and fall and slowly settle.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:08 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Tom your tbe suggestions worked; Miracle Mart is out of the B-motors so they will email me if they get more. I also like their fan shaped gears because they move air out of the cabin. This will be helpful to cool the 10 watt front navigation light I plan on installing. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-Epistar-COB-LED-Chip-10W-20W-30W-50W-100W-Integrated-Beads-SMD-For-Floodlight/32637917755.html
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:26 am
PostPost subject:

MY EYE CANDY Shocked Very Happy
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 3 of 58
Jump to: