Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm
PostPost subject: interesting training gear, u have to c it

I''ve been looking at the available training aids and to this day, I think this is the best one for newbies like me with CP copters. Check out chopperaddict.co.uk. I tried it and it works. I can tell when I'm not in control and would have caused a costly mistake, i.e. buying new parts.

I've only tried it on my HoneyBee CP3 that I was intending to learn to hoover and just scoot around with till I get more experience and then try my 450 size. The HB CP3 was not as easy as I thought. It likes to gyrate and inputs are somewhat sluggish compared to my smaller Walkera 180 size.

Anyway, look and see and see if it works for you. Does for me. I did it outside and then in my basement using 10#weights as anchors. I did use the carbon rods X attached to the landing gears and fixed the lines to the end of the rods to give a wider base and more stable platform.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:53 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello there magyarbacsi....

Went to the web site you mentioned and could not find the training gear.

Could you provide a link to the specific page?

Thanks in advance!!
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:10 am
PostPost subject: post subject

I think this is what you are looking for.
http://www.chopperaddict.co.uk/hover-training-rig.html
Scroll down to the video.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:53 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the link !!

I have seen that before. Good concept for learning the basics of stick-hand-eye coordination.
I will still use the rod and ball method for my training gear. They are not so much training gear as blade savers as they keep the low level tip-overs out of the program when tryin new components.
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 am
PostPost subject:

THe Hover-EZE is very clever and a FANTASTIC idea for nose-in training!
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Back in the early days - we used to do similar .... The common one was a second person holding a string connected to tail. having no HH Gyros in those days - we needed to learn tail control QUICK !!

The use of 4 strings to skids was also used ... so really it's not that new an idea.

I have reservation about it ... having gone through the "string-days" of the 80's ... when I came OFF the strings - I found I had to adapt seriously ....
The strings restrict movement - but as seen in Heli-EZE .. he's actually got the heli hard up on them - so in my opinion - any out of trim or curve error is masked by heli's inability to get away.

Sorry to rain on the party ... just my personal view. On return to the hobby, I used the usual crossed rods and sponge balls to save my heli from many of the mishaps. I reckon the 'hula-hoop' ring another showed on here is one of the best ...

I cannot help but feel with such serious tethering of the heli - it will be one hell of a psychological battle to actually decide not t0p use ......

Each to their own as they say.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:59 pm
PostPost subject:

I have to agree with you on this one Solent, got nothing to add, you said it. And ,thankyou for liking my hoola-hoop. Wink
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:41 am
PostPost subject:

Trouble wrote:
I have to agree with you on this one Solent, got nothing to add, you said it. And ,thankyou for liking my hoola-hoop. Wink

No worries ... credit where credit due.

I was given the crossed rods as part of my RTF so went with them. Only mod I did was to replace the useless plastic "stars" with tie-wraps etc. as shown in my version - samd thread I think as your hoops.

Back on the training idea - I just feel that the Heli should be free to show it's unbalanced set-up - which I think the 4 strings may hide ....
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 am
PostPost subject:

Quote:
Back on the training idea - I just feel that the Heli should be free to show it's unbalanced set-up - which I think the 4 strings may hide ....

yep, yep.
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 am
PostPost subject: interesting training gear

I actually tried it on my honeybee cp3 and even with the lines steadying the copter, that cursed bird just gyrated and I could not get it to steady once I lowered the copter so I can see the inputs.This is not my idea and I know it has been around a while. If you watch his video actually training a student, he does lengthen the line at each lesson to where the line is so loose that it is only a safety measure to keep the thing from taking off and causing damage and shows the student after 5 -6 such lessons hovering a 450 copter. I know of a logger in Ccanada who actually used this method to teach himself how to hover and fly a full scale Huey.He might have taken some lesson in addition, I dont know. He used logging chains anchored in cement.

Well, I did decide to fly the HB CP3 with just the training rods and balls and for a few short seconds I thought I was getting the hang of cp birds. I think this cursed bee has a mind of its own cuz in a split second, without any input I was not aware of, was hovering at about 2 feet or maybe more and the darned thing committed suicide. I have never seen such destruction from such low altitude. I have in the beginning dumped my Walkers 180 from much higher altitude and only had to replace a blade or two.

Well the Bees' wings actually survived, but that eggshell of a frame just snapped, twisted and the tail boom took on a strange angle. In the end, a new frame and tail fin is all I that will be replaced (its on the way) I did get some encouragement from members of this forum who said that the larger, 450 size, are more stable and easier to handle. I wont give up and will try again with maybe more weights on the paddles to make it more stable. Then on to the HK450 TT pro.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: