Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 pm
PostPost subject: Kitting out my spare 450

Well my Upforce 450 Trex clone is STILL going well after all the crashes / bends / scrapes etc.

I originally bought not only the RTF clone - but also a metal / CF upgrade barebones 450 as back-up and intended for later kitting out when I could fly.

I have now ordered motor ... 3800KV ... so I have a bit extra on head speed from the 3400 I have now. E-Tech gyro - cause I know it works and I'm not a rich man !
I have servos ready along with identical canopy to first ... so should be interesting at flight site .... I think I will have numbers on canopy like F1 racers ?
Last bit is to decide ESC ..... and I am considering a Governed ESC to get head speed sorted ........ I do have a spare 35A one ... but think a better one is deserved.

Ok - one question ....... I have alloy tail booms at moment in both 450's ... would there be any advantage to having CF booms ... the alloy ones seem to bend at slightest knock .... I know CF ones split as I had CF on my FP years ago ... epoxy + clingfilm with hairdryer used to sort split booms (as I posted in Tips section).
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm
PostPost subject:

I was just reading about this issue. I'm planning on picking up a Three Dee Rigid in September, but I was wondering why such a high-end heli would use an aluminum boom instead of carbon fiber.

His argument is that when it comes to the boom, carbon fiber doesn't bring any added performance to the table and is just an increased cost factor after a crash.

I guess that makes sense to me, carbon fiber just looks so cool . . . Rolling Eyes
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 am
PostPost subject:

I think the problem with CF is that it is not strong in all directions ... when stressed at 90 deg's to it's length it tends to split and can go 'hairy'. That was my experience on the Irvine 20 FP I had years ago.
But that might be better than the alloy boom that bends and is deformed. I agree that if bend is only slight - it can still be used ... just turn the boom so it is still straight longitudinally with frame ! But a CF boom can be resined and set up again ... we used to do it all the time back then.
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:43 am
PostPost subject:

The alluminium tail boom cost around $1 each including postage. I imagine the cost of CF cloth and resin to repair would probably cost more than that.

I am thinking rplacing my HK401B gyro with a budget gyro ie. not a $200 Futaba one. Have you used HK401B before ? How does it compare to ETech ?
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 am
PostPost subject:

I have tried on a few 450's to use a gov and have not had much luck.
Most of the time it causes tail wagging issues, I don't know why but it does.
I just run a flat 100% throttle curve, running about 3500 on my 450.
I would recomend if you are going to run those head speeds, you get a better gyro, then a 401 knock off. I would never trust my helis to one of those.
Just my .02
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am
PostPost subject:

I had a budget 401 gyro and crashed my heli. Lots of damage. Get a good one (gyro). Some things you an do cheapie but not the gyro.

Jack
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 am
PostPost subject:

The gyro on my Belt-CP X is beyond terrible and it sucks all the joy out flying it. My finger is glued to the gain knob the whole flight, vainly trying to dial into a sweet spot that doesn't exist.

I just got a flybarless Mini V Bar for my Trex 450 Pro, I can use its old gyro with a Spektrum receiver on the Belt-CP, right?

Sorry to go a little off topic.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: