My recent crash...
Lesson learned :
- Don't be overconfident
- Don't fly too far, can't see the orientation

-

tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:30 pm
PostPost subject:

Now that's a fair dinkum smash Sbobby, Shocked your not competing with Trouble here are you?

Seriously though it's a lesson to be well learned. I find the sim keeps reminding me of the same thing - but not so expensively. Thank you for sharing this warning with us and good luck with the repairs.

Tom.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:18 pm
PostPost subject:

Hiya Bobby,

Hey buddy, are you tryin' to ruin my Rep??!! Evil or Very Mad I'm afraid it just is not permitted to have better crashes than me, sorry. You are just gonna have to take that heli and get her all fixed up again and start flyin' right, there just ain't room for 2 of us ok? I gotta admit though, that is one good lookin' crash victim, possibly better than some of mine, and I just cannot allow that to happen!
Ok, now that we understand the ground rules we can move on. Cool
From the the looks of the carcass you were way more confident than me, you hit hard and fast, you weren't tryin' to go inverted were you? lol. Nah, you said u lost orientation,(you are not using the DX6i Tx are you?)...that is why I am considering getting the Co-pilot to help me out, my heart starts pounding when my heli gets past the 50 foot marker Shocked, lmao.
Anyhoo, hope ya get it all fixed up nice again soon,....oh, and don't do that again! Wink
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:11 am
PostPost subject: post subject

hi sbobby
how did you manage so much damage without scratching the blades.
the good thing about using cheap woodies is they often break up and leave the rest intact apart from main and feathering shafts which is a quick and easy repair.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 am
PostPost subject:

Nice crash... That sucks. You may have to straighten your phase pins in the head block when you put it together. I would be suprised if you did not strip a servo too..
I see a nick on the inside of one of your blades where it folded back to far in your crash. Scrap them.. better safe then sorry.
I learned that very lesson once too. Keep them close to home, they are already small, and they get smaller fast.
Good luck on the rebuild.
danwholio
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:03 pm
PostPost subject:

Which way did you land exactly? At least the blades didn't strike your boom too hard.
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 am
PostPost subject:

I am a bit embarrass to say I wasn't doing 3D or reversed flying when crashed.
I was over confident to let the heli dropped too quick, too low and yaw to left and then tried to pull up. By then it was too late, when I pushed the throttle, the blades already hit the ground and that was why the crash was so bad ......
danwholio
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:28 pm
PostPost subject:

Dude I know what you mean man... I think the majority of us always hope to pull out of awkward situations and most of the time succeed in doing so. When you think you have it and you don't gravity always displays its wrath. I've found that in these situations it's best to avoid the feeling of " Oh I got it, throttle and pull opposite the angle of dive"... Sometimes, for me at least, I am more apt to avoid damage if I just drop the throttle to 0 and let her fall with no servos moving or motors spinning. But all in all man, every one thrashes their bird, and if you don't push the envelope then the fun involved with this sport just doesn't hold as much weight you know. I would suggest getting a 450 clone, something relatively cheap with trex compatible parts. Fly that bird like there's no tomorrow and then attempt some of your new more refined moves on your Trex.

I only offer up this advice because it's the same logic that a local pilot gave me out here. I watched him 3d his clone 450 and then he flew his se v3 and repeated the moves he practiced and knew well on the clone.

I've been watching some of the Ebay auctions on clone 450's and they tend to end at around $150 with servos too! So maybe you could pic one up, bind it to your radio, and fuck around till you slap down a good 3d routine!!! Otherwise, I would try flying a sim, press your limits, get some genuine confidence and then apply your new moves to real flight. Thing about sims is though, you can never really simulate damage or random wind patterns. It's a lot different when there's no re-set and the bad crash you just made costs you a couple hundred bones.

When I stop by my LHS I usually spend about an hour or more on their Real Flight 5.6? I think that's the one. Any how, they don't have a 450 on there so I fly the Trex 500 or 600. I practice back flips and mid altitude inverted circles. I have got the flips down to a T and my inverted circles look fairly clean and fluid right now, but I won't try it on my 450... mainly because my 450 won't even arrive till tomorrow and I am unsure as to whether a simulator really is like the real thing.

I've crashed my 120 sr a few times ( mainly due to extreme wind conditions), but each crash seems to teach me something. You'll probably crash again bro, but I doubt you'll crash the same way or in the same circumstances. After a tumble like that you will adjust even if you don't realize it. Put her back together and fly as soon as you can!!!
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: