Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 am
PostPost subject: Saturdays altitude tests with both Big Lama cam ships

Well took both Big Lama cam ships up today on altitude climb tests. Need to work on smoother descents as too low of rpm's and not enough forward cyclic makes it rough. Controllable, but rough. My initial goal is to maintain height of power plant stacks to the south left of Morro Rock and get the descents down before attempting the Morro Rock event. The stacks are a tad over 400' AGL (above ground level) and the Rock is 576'. Orientation thus far hasn't been an issue, but not sure about another 176' yet. Flights went OK today especially with slight breeze and getting a better hold of proper descents. More time needed for sure. I'll keep plugging away! Video'a are in HD (720p) and best viewed in YouTube. Feel free to stop by our public Big Lama Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ESkyBigLamaPage

Link

Link
[/url]
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 am
PostPost subject:

Nice video & flying! Are you using an 808 keychain cam, cause my vids on helis never turn out that smooth. That BIG rock in the backround? Are you aiming at topping that? I'd love to see that!
You may already know this, but for anybody who doesn't know already, descending fast streight down is bad. Any heli (full scale included) generates a bubble of high preassure air under it, that's what keeps it in the air. Descend too fast through that bubble in one spot you'll drop through that bubble and the heli will become suddenly unstable and drop like a rock because it lost lift it had. It's called "Ring Vortex Effect" I think.
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:48 am
PostPost subject:

DT, yep using the 808 #11 HD cam. Yep the goal soon as the weather allows is to top Morro Rock and return. Yeah aware of the descent factors, just need top remind myself to keep the rpm's up and forward stick and not let it settle straight down. Been getting better at it. Orientation is tough up there, but handling it so far. Once my thumbs and brain kick in the slow descending circles it does OK. Rolling Eyes The hard part at that altitude is beginning those descending semi wide circles. Once I do the it smooths out. I'm getting there. Wink

As far as the cam goes? It took myself and Spooner a lot of trial and error to find the proper mounting technique of cam and then all was well. There is a a tech tip on that on our Facebook page in the photo section.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: