SIMS do tell it the way it was !

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 am
PostPost subject: SIMS do tell it the way it was !

Hi Guys,

Last weekend practicing nose in, flew the Helicopter back towards myself, basically flew the helicopter almost over myself at a safe height (there on my own, nobody behind me), anyway had to turn my body, took me from nose in to tail in then immediately crashed. Shook my head and thought what the hell happened there ?

Came home and tried the same thing on Clearview, Dam did it again & again, finally worked out loose wire in the brain, when I turned like that Rudder & Elevator part of the brain switched to tail in but Aileron didn't.

Helicopter repaired, brain made soft an malleable with a few wines then Clearview retrained it, try again for real this weekend.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:40 am
PostPost subject:

It might be helpful if you could get to do some slope soaring or thermal soaring, landing nose-in is normal, and with no rotor coming at you to think about, you could concentrate on control functions.

Back in the late 1970s, I was slope soaring and this guy Mohair coat binos and camera hung round his neck, came up and started asking questions, I asked him if he did any flying, "I'm only an airline pilot, got me own full sized glider." came the reply, thinking to my self, great! I can make a roll-up and have a quick smoke. So I showed him the transmitter, "This is the rudder and here's the elevator." and handed him the transmitter. He was going great guns as my glider got smaller and smaller, I said best turn and come back. He banked to port and levelled up, but then he found it difficult to orientate the glider and maintain altitude. I recovered it for him and let him have two three more goes, but he still could not get the hang of it.

He'd never had to fly with his back to the wind!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 am
PostPost subject:

It's even more fun when a real heli pilot tries to fly a model heli first time. Shocked

Tom.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm
PostPost subject:

I've been doing joystick "navigation" on PCs of one kind or another for 30 odd years.......From Elite on the BBC model B, through every MS flightsim released, I still use FSX regularly. My spacial awareness is extremely good. My hand eye coordination is what you'd expect from an art metal worker who has made stuff by hand for Buckingham palace. I spent many years doing 3d design/manufacturing, my brain is wired for 3d stuff.......Flying nose in is a whole new world of "brain Farts" though (thanks for that expression Tom Laughing). That aside, If it was easy I would get bored with it.

What did RC pilots do before sims?.....spent more money I suppose.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:13 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Guys,

Had no problems nose in with Sail Planes or still have no problems Fixed Wing or even FP helicopters, it's only CP and only the Aileron, anyway 20 minutes a morning on the SIM has seemed to improved things, I'm fly again this afternoon I'll let you know how I go.
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 am
PostPost subject:

It took me about six months, flying every weekend and practice on sim ocassionally , I can now fly nose in confidently .... It does take a lot of practice (and crashes) to 'recondition' our brain, I think !

I am now learning to do inverse flying. Have stock up lot of parts already prepare for crashes. It' hard.... forward is backward ,....
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:15 pm
PostPost subject:

G.K. wrote:
What did RC pilots do before sims?.....spent more money I suppose.

Well Gary, this is very much as it was in my early days of RC

http://youtu.be/-zJabGF_XoI

We built our own Tx & Rx from exWD parts, acorn valves from old U.S. radar sets, wound our own coils (no radio shack or similar then Sad ) only ONE channel Shocked just drove the rudder. Engine was diesel no glow motors and only your finger to start it, it ran until the fuel ran out (if you didn't crash first,) the heavy 90V HT batteries made a mess of a balsa fuse in a bad landing.

In the 60's we advanced to this system: http://youtu.be/xBSRmlIGSWQ

Neither of these could be used on helis though. My early 50's heli was free flight, balsa & tissue with a rubber powered rotor. Powered upward, autorotated down. Never needed fuel or charging, just new rubber in the spring.

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:48 pm
PostPost subject:

When I began flying RC back in the early 1970s, I didn't have a computer or flight sim, so used to practised in real time with my kamco kadet high wing trainer powered by a 0.19 Enya glow motor, with just rudder, elevator, and throttle control. Never flew via bubby-box, just had an experienced RC pilot just talk me through take-off and landing once.'Cool'

I only pranged it twice. First time when I'd added ailerons, up to that point I had been flying mode 2. Someone advised changing to mode 3, 'Rolling Eyes' first time out on landing instinctively made corrections with left stick plane went knife-edge and the wing tip made contact with the runway then the spinner, and I changed back to mode 2. Only superficial damage. Second time total write-off unrecoverable power dive straight into the ground.'Crying or Very sad'

Then when I began slope soaring with my Groupner Mosquito, which I still have, that's when I really learnt how to fly.

I still don't have a sim, I lernt to fly helis by setting-up and testing my Walkera Dragonfly 36s after rebuilt....after rebuild..after....'Razz'
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 am
PostPost subject:

Looks like we were all doing similar in those days, film of UK,USA, Australian & Dutch early Aeromodling.

Link
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:25 am
PostPost subject:

Good find there Keith, brings back lots of memories. Flew my first real model in 1948.

Love the control line Lancaster Cool ! I still remember my first flight with a 'Stunt Queen' on 25' (7.5m) lines. Put a different meaning on "Taking it for a spin" Shocked .

Tom.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 pm
PostPost subject:

Fascinating videos, thoroughly enjoyed...Could "Modern Man" with 2.whatever children find the time for that level of commitment?

I did have an old MacGregor single channel system, someone gave it to me. I don't ever remember using it though.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: