Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 pm
PostPost subject: Swash Plate levelling with level guide

They are available on Ebay for $3 about ... and to be honest - I was an eyeball guy till I finally got one and realised how good they are.

So here's my guide to using one ... some items may differ from other peoples use of it ... but I think the general idea will be OK ..

1. You have to remove the main rotor head assembly above the swash plate. This is done by unclipping the 4 ball links from top ring of swash, and the removing the main bolt in top section of rotor head locking it to main shaft. Slide whole head assembly away as one, leaving swash plate still connected to servos and on shaft...

2. Now disconnnect motor power leads and fire up Tx and Rx / heli systems so servos etc. are all on command. Switch to Idle up and set throttle at mid position - which is zero pitch point. ( Don't worry about pitch at this time - that's for later ).

3. Slide level tool over shaft and place legs on links of swash plate ..

4. As you see here .. the back ccpm pitch is too low and needs to come up. DO NOT use trim on TX at this point. Check all trims and Sub-trims on Tx are centred... check servo arms are 90 degrees to arm movement. Adjust arm position to 90 degrees ... then adjust link arms to get swash points as level and touching Level legs as possible. Note that each link adjusted alters the other 2 as well !

5. OK - so no matter how much we fiddle we cannot get that last tiny fraction ... so NOW use sub-trim to get that last fraction in ...

6. OK so we have it OK at mid zero pitch point. Now move throttle to max position. If level tool legs still are in contact with all 3 swash link points - excellent ... but most will not be. ...
7. We then have choice of how to sort this - BUT DO NOT adjust link arms or servo trims ... !! We can use swash mix % or the more easy common way of End Point Adjustment on TX.
8. Identify which servo it is and channel on Tx ... adjust the End Point to get level tool sitting on all 3 swash point links ...
9. Now bring throttle down to lowest point and check again ... use lower End Point Adjust if necessary.

So now you have a swash that is level at all stages of throttle.

10. Remove swash level tool and refit main head assembly.
11.Once all fitted and secure ... you then need to zero in the blades at mid throttle Idle Up position ............
12.First we have to check flybar paddles are level.

13. Then onto main blades ... adjusting pitch to zero at this point.

Last job of course is to run up the heli and check tracking ...............

Hope the above helps someone ...

Cheers
Nigel
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:03 am
PostPost subject: Re: Swash Plate levelling with level guide

solentlife wrote:
Last job of course is to run up the heli and check tracking ...............

Hope the above helps someone ...

Cheers
Nigel

You forgot the washout block levelling, that's really vital, and the cyclic pitch setting there Nigel. Also it's a good idea to check for a twisted blade by using the pitch gauge at at least 4 different points along each blade and check that each point remains at zero pitch.

Do this and the tracking will be perfect every time. Never cover up a poor adjustment or a twisted blade by adjusting the tracking. The heli will never fly as well as it could. If it needs tracking something is out somewhere and should be put right.

Have you ever gone back to check zero pitch after having adjusted the tracking? I ALWAYS used to find that it was out! That means something was wrong somewhere and needed to be corrected. Find out what, put it right and you will have a very smooth handling heli

Tom.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:24 am
PostPost subject: post subject

thanks guys,
simple but very informative. Cool
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:48 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks guys,

Very nice info.

platinum
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 am
PostPost subject:

solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:59 am
PostPost subject:

Trouble .... I'm stll learning !!

Went out today to trial set-up before Regional Fly-In at airport in my town tomorrow ...........

She took of straight as a die ... best ever. Even managed 3 landings ON my H of helipad !

Noted a bit of tracking ... so adjusted that and fine ...

Sped up to lift ... heli then sounded strange, slid across helipad .. I shut down. I could see immediately that tail rotors were at strange angle to boom ...

The tail housing had snapped of at end of boom. Reckon it must have thrown one of the bolts and then all was on that thin alloy joint ...

Anyway ......... having a spare barebones machine comes in handy ... all A1 again and flown ... all fine ... all ready for tomorrow at fly-in.

Internet here and TV etc. is advertising it - so looks like I'll be in papers again ......... (other was 1983 ... in UK for Round Table Fete where we provided RC display ... next was my Wedding out here with International VIP Guests .... )

Anyway ... the 20 mins spent on photoing / levelling has paid off well.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: