Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am
PostPost subject: Total Shutdown

Hiya Guys,
Ok, My heli just took off and crashed in a tree, I got it all back together and seemed ok, the tail servo case is cracked so i put a regular HS65Hb servo there and took it out to see if all was ok, it started up, spooled up then quit....nothing...
1. The ESC gets very hot when connected to the motor.
2. The AR6200 RX has a light on like it is supposed to....
3. The Align 750 gyro lit up up and I could change to the different settings but..cannot change the settings,.... now, the lights will not come on in the gyro...
4. I cannot make the servos move with the TX, also when the Gyro was on I could not change the settings with the TX
What I need to know is...does this sound like the RX is bad even though the light is on, or the gyro is bad? or both, would the gyro affect the working of the servos by the the TX?
Any help would be...a great help!
Thanks
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Trouble,

Sorry to hear about your problems, because your suspicious of a couple of items I would start by unplugging the motor from the ESC first for safety secondly to stop the ESC getting hot, then I would unplug the Gyro from the Rx.

Next I would re-bind the Rx to the Tx, if it binds OK the cyclic servos should work OK, if they don't I would look at changing the Rx, if they do then I would add the Gyro Back in and see what effect that has, then the motor to see what stops thing from working.

Hope this helps, good luck
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 pm
PostPost subject:

The best thing to do is unplug the gyro and then see if anything else moves. If so then you found the problem.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:23 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for replying guys, Appreciate it greatly,
Ok, here is what happens,....
1. motor is disconnected, with the gyro disconnected from the RX I get no signal light from the RX.... nothing moves.
2. I plugged the Gyro into the RX but the Gyro lights did not come on, I unplugged the servo wire from the Gyro then plugged it back into the gyro and the lights came on.
3. With the Gyro plugged into the RX I do get the signal light on the RX, still, nothing moves. ( for whatever reason the RX does not seem to work "unless" the Gyro is plugged into it...)
haha, well, just now as I am typing this I tried again, I gave the RX power but no light...the light in the RX flashes for a tiny second as I plug the power in but the light will not come on...with or without the gyro...sigh...ok, I just wanted to know what was wrong so I would know for future reference, and..to save money,.... to me, it looks like the RX is bad, and possibly the Gyro, damn, I guess I will buy both to make sure.
okey dokey, thanks for the help guys, take care, talk to ya'll laterz.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 am
PostPost subject:

I think you are correct about it being the Rx that is shot. As a last test I'd try disconnecting everything from the Rx except the remote ant. and try arming it powered it with a known good Rx battery pack (you said the ESC was getting hot, so the BEC may also be at fault). If it doesn't come to life then, it's for sure shot. Man, that's one expensive crash you had.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:44 am
PostPost subject:

Hiya DT,
yea, a lot more expensive than I thought, At first it was just the boom and a cracked Tail servo case, or so I thought.
On the ESC getting hot, could there be something else to make it get hot? I ask this because I just put a brand new Align ESC on and it got hot also when I hooked everything up to test it...........Ok, NOW, while I type this ,i have the ESC hooked up to the Batt. and the ESC hooked up to the RX, the RX light is off, Servos will not work, the Gyro light is on though, so it is getting power, but cannot change settings on it....need the TX to do that and apparently the RX won't allow that to happen, cuz it's broken...anyway, the point I am tryin' to make is, the ESC is NOT getting hot anymore. Thanks so much for your help DT, I am just going to go ahead and get a new RX and see what happens, I just wish there was a cheaper RX.
Thx again bud, talk to ya later.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm
PostPost subject:

If you receiver is pretty new then send it in for repair.
I had one of mine get damaged in a crash. The RX is 150 bucks new, I got it repaired for 40 bucks. I have learned to never throw anything away, just send it back.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 pm
PostPost subject:

Shocked Damn, they went up in price!! Crying or Very sad
I will do that Crash, $44.00 is still a great price for a new AR6200.
I was toying with the idea of getting this until I learn all the basics, like sideways, head in, Forward Flight, etc., etc.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8992
I know it isn't Futaba or Spektrum but, I could get a alot of these RXs' for the same price of one AR6200.
I mean maybe I went overboard at first, is it really necessary to have the best to learn to Hover and just fly around a few feet? This is an honest question, cuz I don't want to have a crash due to crappy electronics,.... if it is my fault that is acceptable, but not if it is because of the electronics. Of course that runs me right into the statement of "You get what ya pay for" or "buy cheap, buy twice".....Drat....
Anyway, I am gonna send mine in to get repaired, thx for that info!!!
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 am
PostPost subject:

I see stuff like that and wonder how good it really is. It is too cheap for me to even risk it on an expieriment.
That price I told you for my RX was for an 8ch Futaba high speed unit.
If you are just learning and not going very far, I would recomend spending less money for a RX and get a park flyer type RX. You don't need an expensive full range one if you are just hovering in front of you.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:26 am
PostPost subject:

Personally speaking, I wouldn't trust a cheap radio. Heck, I'm itching to get a DX8 but I'm not keen on being a "Spektrum Beta Tester". Too many bugs still being found with that Tx IMO, (but that's a different topic). Last thing I need is to suddenly have a heli come at me totally out of my control aiming for my head. At least Spektrum will notify owners of product recalls, I'm not sure the same can be said about HK stuff.

I'd just buy another 6200 and send the fried one in to find out what it will cost to have fixed, unless you don't mind waiting weeks & weeks for the one you send in to get fixed.
What a crappy time for you to have this happen! It's like prime flying season down your way now I belive. Up here on the NE coast it's either raining, too windy, too cold or too dark to get much flying in.
Hope you get it all sorted out soon.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 am
PostPost subject:

Hey Crash!
I don't want to experiment either, just needed to know what your thoughts on it were, I for one will listen to people with XP. you know where I am at, lol, just learning to hover good,... or was, ...sigh Crying or Very sad

Hiya DT!
I like the DX6i I have, nothin' wrong with it as far as I know. But, From what Crash has said in previous posts and what I have seen from Finless Bob's vids I will prolly get the Futaba T8FG a little later on, I will get a Nitro 600 one day and maybe a plane or two, and gonna need the extra channels. Yep, gonna send the old 6200 to the shop and get another one in the next few days.
Indeed it is a crappy time to screw up...sigh...the weather here has been most excellent!!! Really pissin' me off that I had to mess around with my heli when it was working so great! Shudda just left it as it was, but noooo, just had to see if I could fine tune the main blades and somewhere along the line I screwed something up....maybe there is a problem after all with the Spektrum Txs'..hmm, cuz when it took off I did at least have the presence of mind to hit the cutoff button, and the throttle off switch, neither worked, it just kept on going 'til it hit the tree....Crap...maybe I will have to get the Futaba sooner than planned. Wink
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 am
PostPost subject:

I don't know why I didn't think about this before, sorry. Before the crash you said you had reversed the throttle. Did you change it back before trying it after the crash? Could be the Rx isn't arming because it doesn't see Low throttle.
Something else you should check into is there was a recall on DX6i's like a year ago. Might be worth checking Spektrum website to see if your Tx is one of them.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:27 am
PostPost subject:

THX DT,
yes indeed, the very first thing i did in fact, actually, I just went ahead and reset the TX, all of it. Probably nothing wrong with it at all, alot of ppl have this TX and swear by it, and from all I have read it is supposed to be up there with the better ones like JR and Futaba, but.....I am kinda leery now, like I said, my heli was perfect, then all I did was try to adjust the pitch on the main blades and when I went to fly it, it just went all to hell, would not lift, no matter how much throttle,..I want to say it made a funny sound, but I really can't remember now, so I tried a few things in the TX to see if it would help, Reversing the throttle being one, and then it it did take off...man, did it ever take off!!! lmao. Shocked So, i guess you could say it wasnt the heli that was messed up huh?... Damn, really didn't want to spend an extra 400+ dollars at this point in time. I suppose I could give the DX6i another go....half way scared to now, the more I think on it.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: