Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conax
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 pm
PostPost subject: Lama 2Q Won't lift off, runs smooth

I got a new one today, flew great for a bit..
After 3 or 4 great, stable, hands-off hovering flights, disaster struck. I pulled down the throttle too quick- It crashed kind of in slow motion from about 3 feet straight down and tangled with a coffee table while throttled back. (My bad on the throttle)
I put the flybar link back on, and tried to take back off, and it didn't have lift off power, then went a little spastic.. (the heli, that is. I was perfectly calm) I re bound it to the TX, and it still couldn't spin up. I figured the battery was low, so I charged it up, same. Won't pick up to full speed. Seems like it's in a bind. Especially the bottom rotor. It has a hard-to-remove fuselage, I'll need to take off all the blades and the fly bar to pull it out of there. Those little tiny screws are a PAIN aren't they? Should I pull the shafts out to see if they're bent or something? I know the gear might be slipping, too. Anyone have any experience with this type of stove-up crash damage?
Thanks for any info!
Great forum, by the way, I've read quite a bit so far...
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Conax,

Welcome to the forum. You have suggested everything that I would have done. Let us know how you get on.
conax
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks!
It sure was nice to fly before it got beat up. Didn't take many lumps before it went out of whack. Hope I can do the repairs without too much drama..
I just kind of dread taking the thing apart. Those screws are so small, I have to pick them up with tweezers.. I need some microscopic tools. But I'll get on here, let you all know what was broken.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 am
PostPost subject:

Looking forward to that Conax, perhaps one of those jewelers big magnifying glasses with the built in light would help. I know my instrument tool set has been very handy on the helis.
conax
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey, it's fixed-
Turns out the setscrew in the collar that locates the hollow shaft must have been loose. (I'm sure it wasn't crash damage, as that would be my bad!) This collar is right where the shaft exits the frame. There's a pinhole to locate the setscrew, and you get the right endplay. When it got smacked the shaft deformed the upper gear's (bottom rotor) pocket it keys into. The gear got out of true and would hit the spur gear for the other rotor causing the spazoid behavior. I put a new set of gears in, reassembled and on first flight it was fine for a few minutes and then top rotor quits! Ha!
I (apparently) failed to tighten the gear set screw on the flat in the small shaft, then when I picked up the stricken, bedeviled thing, the top rotor and shaft and all fell out, in my bleepin hand! After I fixed it again, it really flew well, like new. The controls seem to be heavy and slow, I'd like a little more response to subtle inputs. But it's easier to fly than I thought it would be. It hovers hands off til it drifts into the furniture. Smile
Anyway, I think this sort of info might help someone with the same model and problem.

I also stuck a red-green-blue slow change l.e.d. on the chassis to light up the fuselage from the inside. It bugs the cat now.
I'm new at these things, but I'm thinking a little loc-tite might save me a lot of grief. These little indoor helis are fun when they aren't broke!

And I'll have to stop slamming it around, that's where you guys come in. I'll be lurking and reading to see how to fly a CB100 I bought. I hover checked it to make sure it was ok, then parked it. It's powerful and spunky compared to the LAMA 2Q2. It's too tricky for me now.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: