Blade mCX2 or Blade MSR?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm
PostPost subject: Blade mCX2 or Blade MSR?

Hi, in my first post on this site elsewhere, I mention that I had purchased one of those mall throwaway 3-channel minis. Now that it is about to die, I'm looking for a reliable 4-channel replacement.

"DumbThumbs" suggests that I start with the mCX2 and then later upgrade to the MSR.

Before the mini started going bad, I was really getting the hang of it. Also, my previous single-engine fixed-wing pilot training might have helped me catch on. My question is: should I go straight to the MSR instead of paying for the mCX2 first? Whatever I buy, I know the importance of patience: starting out with simple maneuvers and gradually working up to more advanced flying.

What I want is a copter that can be flown both indoors during the winter and oudoors in no wind conditions.

Also, is there another copter you would recommend instead of one of the two mentioned above?

Thanks,
Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 am
PostPost subject: post subject

hi BSquared18
i started with the original mcx and thought i was pretty good with that so i got an msr and i can tell you the msr is so much harder to control its a real bugger for a beginner. i thought there was some thing wrong with the heli but it was just me. i think the mcx2 is a much better heli than the original mcx its been upgraded and improved significantly over the older model and is a good starter heli. whatever you go for get extra batteries because you wont want to put it down its very addictive. if you want an outdoor heli i would suggest the blade sr120. it is very similar to the msr but a bit bigger and easier to see and a bit easier to fly than its smaller brother.
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks, Chopper.

After starting this thread and before a reply was posted, I phoned the nearby Hub Hobby, and the guy said pretty much the same thing: start with the mCX2, and then advance to the MSR or similar copter later.

I went to the store, where the guy demo'd both copters. I saw why the MSR is not for me right now. I went ahead and bought the mCX2.

One cool thing is that if in the spring I want to get an MSR for outdoor flying, the BNF version will cost only about $100, and I can use the transmitter I got with the mCX2. But you guys probably all know this already.

Looking forward to learning to fly this copter.

Thanks,
Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 am
PostPost subject: post subject

you can get the dx6i tx to help with your new addiction and bind ten different models to it and it will remember all the settings for each model in your fleet. you wont have only one heli for long. Smile
i20sailor
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 am
PostPost subject:

Glad the mCX2 is the right choice for you. For others that might have the same questions though: I played around with a $30 co-axial from Costco for a couple of weeks and then bought the mSR. I have no issues flying this heli as long as I don't get over-confident. The mSR is very stable and hovers as well as the co-axial. It is very responsive but settles back nicely when the sticks are just released (keeping throttle adequate, of course). I started out with the low rate setting but swiched to high rate quickly. As a newbie I can definitely recommend this heli to a beginner. It does require some upgrades to make it more crash-proof (metal blade holder and stronger landing skids).
Oldnslofly
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 am
PostPost subject:

Recently bought the Msr and agree fully with the other post.

Best thing is you bought what is right for you and what you felt comfortable with!!!
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 am
PostPost subject:

My special circumstances are that I can't fly outside now due to winter here in Minnesota and am flying in a relatively small space (small living room). So, I think I made the right choice for now. But come spring....

Bill
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: