Whats a good next step?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Eflite Blade helicopters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDM
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm
PostPost subject: Whats a good next step?

I have a mCX-2, a CX, and a 120-SR that I've been getting familiar with,
and now I'm ready for the next step. My question is, what should that step be? I tried a SR, and it was a disaster. Embarassed Your thoughts?
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 pm
PostPost subject:

Easy answer 450 size helicopter, T-Rex if you have the money, clone if you don’t. Idea

S.H

Last edited by SkyHigh on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blues4dog
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 am
PostPost subject:

450 as SkyHigh says and add training gear.

450 is the best size for starters as the smaller CCPM heli's are actually harder to fly and are more affected by wind. The bigger ones can get scary at first and cats will destroy your micro heli's. (Personal experience).

A good quality heli will save you heartache. Align seems to be getting cheaper and you obviously like Blade stuff.
Most importantly, you will need to set it up properly "before" you fly it.
(May have been the problem with the SR.)
Lots of good advice in the forum here and online.

FBL is more stable than a flybar and can be adjusted as your skills improve.

A good simulator will save you money in the long run and will also let you get your 'fix' when the weather is *&#$.

Another good move is to join a club if there is one nearby. Usually plenty of experience and willing helpers there but you may have to sort the wheat from the chaff. There are always a few Prima-donna's.

Your next step is a fairly big one so don't rush it. It will probably get frustrating and take longer than you expect to produce satisfying results but the feeling you will get when it all comes together is truly awesome.

Cheers

B4D

Edit: This is probably the best of the Trex clones IMO and is a good price at the moment. I have one and it flew pretty well straight out of the box. Parts are cheap too.

http://www.hobbydaddy.com/shop/RC-Helicopters-CopterX-Helicopters/c150_154/p15710/CopterX-CX-450PRO-V4-Flybarless-Belt-Version-2.4GHz-RTF/product_info.html
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 am
PostPost subject:

Hi JDM,

B4D's option is pretty good, it's going to cost you around that if you build from a kit and this way it's RTF when you receive it, and it's FBL, I use CopterX FBL Gyros and they perform well.

I'm going to suggest an alternative, the Blade 130 X, if you have the 120 SR under control you should with caution be able to fly the 130 X, it's about the same price as the CopterX and BNF so it will only work for you if you have a DX6i or above.

Why would I suggest this ? they fly like a 450, over grass they are almost indestructible and the parts you brake are pretty cheap and easy to replace normally blade grips and tail drive gears.

I was given one for Christmas, I practice with it in the back yard an then on weekends fly the 450 down at the field, the 450 flying has improved out of site with the practice I get on the 130 X.

The 130 X may or may not be for you, I finally learnt on a 450 after mucking around for months with an SR don't beat yourself up over not being able to learn on one of those, they are rubbish. The 450 is a good solid way to go, I'm just playing devils advocate.
Blues4dog
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 am
PostPost subject:

Why didn't I get one for xmas? Sad
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am
PostPost subject:

Hi JDM,

You will need to do a rebuild at some point in time, so why not start-off with a build, you will learn as you go and get a great sense of achievement when it all come together.

If shafts or bearings prove to be problematic simply use Align shafts and bearings, and some will advocate using Align screws too.

HK450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit (Align T-rex Compat.) Ver. 2 AU27.99

HK-450GT PRO V2 3D Belt-Drive Helicopter Kit (Align T-Rex Compat.)AU57.99

They have an extensive range of cost effective servos, motors, and gyros.
The Radiolink 2.4ghz 6 channel radio kit is enough for getting started and is also cost effective too.

For main rotor blades try this site:-
http://www.r-hobbies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=54#.UPNHkx0qyrU
I use these blades and the heli begins to lift-off at around 4 degrees of pitch. Have a look at their price for Hobbywing Platinum ESCs.

The CopterX 450 and Hobbyking 450 helis look to be identical apart from the colour and prices.

Burgess
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm
PostPost subject:

I would not advise the 450 build for any beginner, they have enough to contend with already, as Blues4dog mentioned use training gear, but these must be removed as soon as possible, normally after a few spool ups and low hovers, admiral is also correct your first flight should be over grass and to add to this flat and clear takeoff space is a must, confidents building is a great ego boosting drug, but can be shattered in a few seconds, so it is essential you are up to date with your sim training, my original suggestion still stands, price determines your 450 choice.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Sky High,

Nobody is debating that what you say, it is correct for you, we are offering alternate opinions. Myself I would rather build than fly, don't get me wrong I love flying , but I get more satisfaction out of building. That is not true for everybody, there are no absolutes to enjoy this Hobby you find your own niche, mine is probably scale when I find the time.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 pm
PostPost subject:

Admiral I agree we are all offering our experience here, to assist the helicopter enthusiast reach there next level. Talking about what is correct for each individual, you prefer to build, at this stage let’s take you back six or seven years, may be longer, I don’t think you would have had the same attitude, yes anybody who has been involved with rc helicopter loves to build, but we are talking beginner here.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 am
PostPost subject:

Well,
JDM indicates he's progressed beyond the elementary stages of RC helicopter piloting, i.e., hopping about and getting into hover, and now is looks for the next step. So, has some idea of how a heli flys.

Now he needs to learn how to re-build and set-up. Model RC helicopters are a mix of aero-modelling and model engineering; back in the 1950s I had to build my first plane and then learn how to trim it out to fly with no input from anywhere...Now there is this and many more forums and youtube.

My rationale: knowing how to rebuild and set-up is a prerequisite to the continuity of the RC helicopter pilots learning curve.

My helicopter flying began Christmas 2008 received an IR Silverlit Picoo Z Tandem Chinook, by May 2009, I purchased two Walkera 36#Bs from an RC heli graveyard, rebuilt and set-up both on their Walkera WK-0701 35mHz 6 channel transmitters. without asking for help from anywhere.

Burgess

Last edited by Burgess on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 am
PostPost subject:

SkyHigh wrote:
Talking about what is correct for each individual, you prefer to build, at this stage let’s take you back six or seven years,

My love of building started in about 1960 with my first off the plan control line plane.
Blues4dog
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 am
PostPost subject:

As you can see JDM, lots of options but they all seem to have a common thread.
I too like building but mine was born of necessity from crash repairs. (Fix it or you can't fly it).
That's the great thing about forums. We lay out our experiences and opinions and you get to take what you need from it.
Good luck with whatever choices you make but most of all, have fun. That's what it's all about after all.

Cheers.

B4D

Edit: Just another thought. The RADDS online school might be worth a look too. http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
JDM
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:12 am
PostPost subject:

Well, thanks for the opinions everyone. Building probably should come next, simply because repairs are expensive. Our local hobby shops seem to only carry E-flite blades, and my original goal was to advance to a 450. I am considering the 130 next, but wanted a few opinions first.
Thanks again.
JDM
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am
PostPost subject:

My next step turned out to be a dx-6-i radio/transmitter. The salesman said I could fly any Blade (up to 10 different) helis and even planes if I wanted to. The way I see it, I won't ever have to get a RTF anymore,
I can go with a BNF, which should make things cheaper.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 am
PostPost subject:

Hi JDM,

That's a good solid investment, next one should probably be a simulator for the computer you can use your new DX6i for that as well, but you need a cable to connect the two, they are about $5 on Ebay. I would recommend Clearview as a simulator, that way you can try before you buy and when you buy it's only about US$ 40.00. if you do use the DX6i for a simulator rechargeable batteries are a good investment.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Eflite Blade helicopters All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: