Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedude52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:20 pm
PostPost subject: YEOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this could have been serious, but turned out hilarious!! Laughing Laughing

OK, I go out this morning to fly cam ship#2 and it's real foggy, I mean foggy so have to keep it close in. I decided to run both the on board cam and hat cam. For most that know me know my hearing from years of sirens, air horns, gun fire and real life flying my hearing is shot to heck. I almost always wear my hearing aids. For some reason this morning I got in a hurry to fly and didn't put them in.

I go out and fly and the flight went well despite the fog. I landed on the heli-pad and set the Tx down next to heli so I could take my hat off and turn the cam off.

Well I turn the hat cam off and with hat still in hand I look down at the heli pad and the heli is freaking gone!!! Shocked Laughing

I then look around and no heli!! I look up and it is hovering about 20' in the air! Shocked I threw the hat on the ground, grabbed my Tx and brought it under control and had a very SHAKY landing!! I'm just glad I had bumped the stick a little as if it had been a lot it would have shot up into the fog and disappeared and God only knwos where it would have went!? Shocked Laughing

Wife said I had nerves of steel! LMAO, it was more like packijng a heavy load that required a change of clothes! Laughing Laughing

Had I had my hearing aids in I would have heard it spool. Never ever do that in front of a family of Badgers!! I actually had that happen with my 450 once as Spoon will remember and was lucky then to to keep it under control and get her on the ground.

I can only imagine what this would have all looked like had someone been filming me?! Shocked Laughing

Here's a short clip of what happened! Laughing

End of flight. landed, set radio down, took hat off to turn cam off and this is where the stick got bumped and she's on her own!Shocked Embarassed You'll see she was fine actually until I reached down and grabbed the Tx and brought her down on he grass in a hurry! No damage except to my ego lol!! Laughing

Link
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:40 am
PostPost subject:

WOW, lucky it was a Coax and not a CP heli, the ending would not have been so good...
Glad you did not panic and got her down safely..
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 am
PostPost subject:

Certainly a lesson to be learned here Tony. Seems it happens to most of us at one time or another.

Mine was being bitten on the back of the knee well flying my Blade 400. Tried to swat the 'big black Portugese fly' that slices the skin to drink your blood and hit the throttle. Heli went straight up and in my panic I brought it down in a tree. Shocked Only a couple of weeks old and it was in for major repairs. The bite took 2 weeks and several visits to the local health center to heal.

Major lesson: Ignore anything until the heli is safely on the ground and throttle hold is on. Not always easy to do, but has to be done. You can heal yourself, the heli can't!

Tom.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 am
PostPost subject:

I can just picture the expression that must have been on your face when you didn't see the heli where you left it Laughing
I'd take that lucky save as a warning from "The Heli Gods" saying if you ain't carefull, I'll sock it to you some day.

Back when I was flying a BladeCP Pro I landed it to take out one turn on a pitch link to adjust tracking. I put the Tx down, but didn't power down the heli and picked up the CP. Well I knocked over the Tx and it fliped the Idle Up Switch ON Shocked No throttle hold on that old crappy stock Tx, no soft start on the ESC either, so I'm lucky it didn't fly far when it went 100% throttle at full negitive pitch before my head was there to stop it Rolling Eyes
Luckily I walked away from that with just a small cut to the forehead and minor repairs to the heli.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: