8 year olds first heli...

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrdonkey2u
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:16 am
PostPost subject: 8 year olds first heli...

Hi ,I bought my son a 2 channel Heli at CVS... on sale 25.00. Just to see if he would stay interested......I have flown it and once you get the concept easily.....first time he was on the control he flew better than I did...even landed it.On several other flights the same thing so I think he may be a naturaul and pick up quickly. He could fly in circles,sideways....and thats not easy to do with a 2 channel and do it where it looks good...lol. I was thinking of getting him a EAGLE 50. Thoughts on that....oh and will the APACHE body fit that heli.
My experiance in RC is by cars only,I have built a plane aerostar 40,sad to say never flown it : ( scared to take it up. lol I have flown a .20 (in size) electric plane. so thats the extent of my R/C ...what ya'll think.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 am
PostPost subject:

Hi,
I think that you should get a simulator and try the different helis (and maybe planes as well) and see what sort of craft you can best handle. One advantage that the lad has is that he does not have to find the cash for spares Evil or Very Mad , and that's where the sim comes in - no repair bills Very Happy . You can fly the most expensive models and not worry, you'll get another if you crash. Very Happy

Idea You are supposed to learn the basics though. Cool
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 am
PostPost subject:

Hi mrdonkey2u,

And welcome to the forum.

Your son has a talent and you are right to encourage this,

As you know 8 year old's get discouraged very fast, I would not advise you to get the EAGLE 50, or a flight simulator as suggested,

But I would suggest you get something like the Syma S026 Mini Chinook Transport RC 3-CH 3ch Helicopter

This has the wow factor that kids like, it’s not going to cost you a fortune,
may be a set of blades now and again, and it will keeps his interest, until he is ready to move up to a 4ch.

Link

Good Luck Trev.
mrdonkey2u
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 am
PostPost subject:

I like both ideas here...we have a simulator(cheapie),it has heli's and planes...R.C style....he fly's and so does my 11 year old . The twin prop soent cause a issue> because your right the WOW factor is great with it. He likes the apache, but I told him you have to learn and then move up.Were flying the el cheapo I bought tomorrow again,he has about 30 flights with it so far...nuttin broke so I think that is pretty good. He is a very observent and asertive kid,he cathes on quickly,like when I'm in the garage working on a car (body work,paint etc) he'll watch and jump right in ,good apprentice. My 11 year old is more cautious and not as eager to jump in until asked...and does well. please,anymore ideas are welcome !!!!
mrdonkey2u
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 am
PostPost subject:

What is a good simulator?I may like it,we have one we bought off ebay...it's cheesy but fun, I see alot in different price ranges.
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:47 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi mrdonkey2u,

You have the following to choose from they all have their strengths and weaknesses,

Please see link for video comparisons. http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1708

AeroFly Professional Deluxe

ClearView

Flying Model Simulator

FS-One Hanger 9

HeliSimRC

Leo's RC Simulator

Phoenix flight simulator

RealFlight G4

RC Flight Master eXtreme64

Trev.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 am
PostPost subject:

T-R-E-V is right here they do all have strengths and weaknesses.

One problem is that some of them will only work on their own controllers. A point to watch out for. Usually the cheaper/free ones are quite happy to run with any controller that shows up on the "Windows Games Controller" screen.

A USB lead from your Tx is normally all that is needed to run the free sims, but if you want to use anything more sophisticated, then be prepared to buy the sims controller with it.
frank26all
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 pm
PostPost subject:

hello mrdonkey2u, if you want your son to stay interested in this hobby get him the blade mcx they cost about 149 to 179 but they are very stable very durable and really fun plus having the four channels to play with will get him ready for the next step , the blade msr . I started out with the blade mcx and the cx2 and I think I have more fun with the mcx ,it's very manueverable for a coaxial micro heli and though it wont teach you how to fly a collective pitch heli it will teach you stick coordination. good luck , I have a six year old daughter that thinks my helis are simply boring.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: