Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 am
PostPost subject: Bad motor on Big Lama / E-500

My Big Lama and my E-500 have the same parts except the canopy and landing gear. My problem is that I think one motor is bad. I believe its the rear motor. Reason I suspect that one is the heli wants to tourqe to the right and thats with full left rudder trim. Is there a way to test the motor? Tomorrow I think I'll pull one of the motors out of the Lama and put it in the E-500 and see what happens. I'll take all the help I can get on this one. I'm no electrician.

Tom
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Carr52:

Check out tombo242's thread on replacing the Big Lama's motors with Ball bearing motors. You will get alot more running time. Also they last twice as long and run cooler.

Jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Good idea Tom,

Have you made sure that there is no slip in the drive, Both props should be turning at about the same speed, if you can see a difference in speed then swopping over the leads can some times give a clue. It cannot fly like this but you can hold it down and watch the rotors.

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 pm
PostPost subject:

There doesn't appear to be a difference in the motor speeds. Both drives look ok. It won't even lift off. It just sits and spins to the right. Full left trim and full left rudder. And since the Lama is down for the count now I'll try a quick motor swap. Not sure if I mentioned it in the Lama thread but the Lama took a really long drop. I was up around 60 feet and tried to make a hard left turn and had a blade strike. It made a sickening thud when it hit. HARD. I think I damaged the esc,Rx, or all the other parts. Now it just sits there and does nothing.
Tom
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:45 pm
PostPost subject:

Update: motor is not bad. The 2 small screws on the lower rotor head were loose. One is stripped so I'm gonna need to change the lower rotor head. For now its flying but has a really bad shake. Not a vibration but a very serious shake like its going to shake itself to pieces if you dont land kinda thing. For now I'm gonna go fly one of the 3D planes. Less complicated than a heli. Thanks for the help everyone. The clue about one rotor going faster or slower was it.

Tom
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 am
PostPost subject:

The E-500 is now a Big Lama. I didn't put the E-500 body back on it. That thing is a pain in the butt. The violent shaking is gone now that the canopy is back on. Took it for a short flight in the kitchen. I'll give it a better trial run tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tom

Update: still has a slight vibration. I'll have to check the balance of the blades somehow. Don't have a blade balancer. I'll figure something out. I replaced the blades, the lower rotor head and didn't tightened the blade screws too tight. The blades are able to move a little more freely now. Still a little vibration. The looser blade seems to help some.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: