Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yabeweb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 am
PostPost subject: Big Lama Canopy

Hello everyone, i recently bought my first RC help (without any experience) and tried flying by taking it very very easily, i chased the Big Lama cause i heard is very good for beginner and after a few crash (as expected) i ordered some spare parts... reinforced blades metal upgrade and some batteries as suggested by many users, now for the question, can i fit the canopy from the e-500

http://www.esky-heli.com/esky-e500-yellow-4ch-fp-rc-helicopter-rtf-24ghz-002759-p-11221.html?cPath=337_177_689

to the big lama?

Are there any canopy that are compatible (so that i can screw in like the original?)

Thank you very much

Andrea
yabeweb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:26 am
PostPost subject:

That or even the Hunter one...if it is compatible

Also another question is the extended shaft useful for a beginner in terms of handling (other than to avoid blade strike?)
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 am
PostPost subject:

I saw a E-Flight Huey body on a Big Lama and it looked super good. The body with new landing skids is around $ 45.00.

The extended shaft will help you avoid main blade strikes but keep in mind a Big Lama is not the kind of helicopter you can boss around the sky. She's a real gentle flier and does best with slow flying.

jack
yabeweb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:16 am
PostPost subject:

pjdog wrote:
I saw a E-Flight Huey body on a Big Lama and it looked super good. The body with new landing skids is around $ 45.00.

The extended shaft will help you avoid main blade strikes but keep in mind a Big Lama is not the kind of helicopter you can boss around the sky. She's a real gentle flier and does best with slow flying.

jack

Well yes I expect it to be a "gentle" flyer i bought a lama cause i wanted something "simple" to learn the basics... so i guess it 'll take time before i can boss anything around Very Happy

I just wanted to know it it made handling difference or not... nice blade strike for me i guess won't be happening for some time (low flying and small movements for now).

Also for the canopy i would really like that hunter one... just need to know if they all fit (i guess yes since it's basically the same Heli...)
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 am
PostPost subject:

yabeweb wrote:
Also for the canopy i would really like that hunter one... just need to know if they all fit (i guess yes since it's basically the same Heli...)

Hi Yabeweb,

I doubt that the Hunter body will fit, the Big Lama is 510mm Long with 460mm Blade Dia and Hunter is 415mm Long with 340mm Blade Dia.

The Huey body looks great, just a bit expensive to learn with
mjg44mjg
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 pm
PostPost subject:

In reference to the extended inner shaft for the big lama..... I have a big lama myself and the very first flight out of the box resulted in massive blade strike and a hard crash.

Had to replace both shafts, all 4 blades, stabilizer bar, landing skids and canopy shoring...

When I ordered replacement parts, I got the extreme extended inner shaft with aluminium head.. I won't fly my big lama with the shorter shaft and the plastic head anymore...

To me, that extended inner shaft with the aluminum head is a must have... Wouldn't get any of the extreme main gears though.. I bought 2 inner shaft gears and 2 outer shaft gears and all 4 I got from helidirect.com were warped/bent beyond belief...
yabeweb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 am
PostPost subject:

Thank you all for your kind responses, i ended up buying this

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150631803063&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:IT:1123#ht_1967wt_922

with also a set of 3d durablades so i should be fixed for some time now....while still learning to fly Very Happy

i 'll get the extended shaft as suggested..... it's really the canopy that annoys me ..it's nice i mean but would really like something more durable....and i might consider a light kit...it would help seeing the direction of this thing.....(i think as a learner that would help).
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm trying to find a new cabin for my Big Lama also. Even the esky web site is out of them. Does anyone know where to find a replacement cabin/canopy for the Big Lama? Thank you.
Tom
mjg44mjg
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 am
PostPost subject:

carr, I have been waiting patiently someone to have a canopy for my big lama, that and the canopy shoring and no one seems to have any.... So, I bought an Esky E500... The canopy isn't interchangeable but all the other moving parts are so tonight I'm going to Frankenstein the two together, put all my aluminum parts and extended shafts and hardened blades on the e500 and see how she flies..

Just an idea
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:23 pm
PostPost subject:

Howdy from SC, Just got an email that hobby-estore has the big lama cabin in stock now. Went there to have a look and yep, they have em. They dont take paypal. Bummer.
Tom
mjg44mjg
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Y'all, the other night i finished my frankenstein project between the big lama and the e500..

Originally I intended on installing the upgrades I had for the big lama on the e500, but since the stock e500 flew so crappy out of the box, instead I installed everything I needed to from the E500 onto the big lama including the canopy and it flies great...

Come to find out that the only difference between the E500 and the Big Lama is the placement of the receiver and the canopy...

Same frame, same everything, different canopy, so for those of you having trouble obtaining a canopy for your big lama, get one for the E500, I think they look better anyway....
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:43 am
PostPost subject:

The new cabin for my Big Lama came in. I now have it back up and flying again. Now I have to order a new extended shaft. Bent the last one in the fall from the tree. It was horrible. Took it out for its maiden flight today. Its great to see it back in it's stock cabin instead of that tail boom kit. Got the new cabin from hobby-estore.
Tom
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm
PostPost subject:

Howdy from SC, my new big lama cabin arrived and I installed it and took it out to play. I'm a happy camper. Its back to its beautiful self. It flys so much better with the stock cabin. Had a pretty hard blade strike even with the extreme extended shaft but the extreme blades took it all in stride. Only thing that happened was I broke one of the little rubber hose things that hold the cabin on. I didn't have a spare so I started looking around for a subtitute. Found one I think will work. I stripped the insulation off a piece of #12 gauge stranded house wire. Works great. Its even a little more solid than the rubber ones.

Tom
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm
PostPost subject:

Tried to fly yesterday. Boy was that almost a horrible mistake. The wind was whipping pretty good. I came to my senses real fast and no damage. Not gonna put my Big Lama through that anymore. On another note. My Tx is getting full so I'm thinking of a new one. Some say get the DX8. I've been wondering about the Futaba Tx's. I'll probably stick with another DX model cause I'm getting to know the in's and out's of it. Just thinking out loud.
Tom

Update: hobby-estore is out of the cabins. But now esky helicopters have them even cheaper. $13.95 USD.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am
PostPost subject:

I just checked and esky helicopters online still have the canopy for $13.95? But alas my Big Lama fell to its doom. I was about 60 to 70 ft. High when I tried to make a really fast left turn around and had a blade strike. It made a kinda thump when it hit the hard ground. Still haven't figured out whats wrong with it yet. I did order the E-500 I've been wanting one anyways. I have 2 of the Big Lama canopys so I'll make it fit.
Tom

Update: My new E-500 is due tomorrow. According to the UPS tracking site. Looking forward to getting it and the Big Lama joined together into one. I'm using the Extreme landing skids and extended inner shaft and blades. From what it looks like the Big Lama Canopy should fit with a little work.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: