Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:56 am
PostPost subject: Big Lama ESC repair

Anybody ever tried to repair a Big Lama ESC Question

After a crash all the electrics seemed ok. I replace al broken mechanics and started my heli. Everything operates normal except when I take off the tail swings left and right. Adjusting the "Gain" has no effect. One can also feel that the gyro effect is extremely low. The speed controllers do work.It seems to be only the gyro that can't cope.

Anybody ever repaired such an ESC Question

The price of a new ESC here by us is +/- double that of units in the USA.

Rolling Eyes
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:37 am
PostPost subject:

From what you are saying I don't think it's the ESC (electronic speed control). You said that the motors are working so that elimnate the ESC. Beside, if memory serves me right the ESC & gyro are build into the 4-in-1 board. All tha being said. I have replaced the 4-in-1 board on a big lama. Very simple and straight forward. Just make notes of what you remove and that wil show you what to put back. Take a picture is also a good idea.

If the tail has gone wild that tells me that the two rotors are not happy. one is over powering the other which is causing the torque to chane causing the tail to swing.

Cheack the gears on both motors. Check the main gears and the pinion gears for any dirt, broken teeth, etc. Also look for a bent main shaft. That is what is the normal problem with Lamas. The shafts are bent?

get back to us with what you find.

jack
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 am
PostPost subject: Re: Big Lama ESC repair

St Bosse wrote:
....Everything operates normal except when I take off the tail swings left and right. Adjusting the "Gain" has no effect. One can also feel that the gyro effect is extremely low. The speed controllers do work.It seems to be only the gyro that can't cope.
Anybody ever repaired such an ESC Question
The price of a new ESC here by us is +/- double that of units in the USA.
Rolling Eyes

Hi St Bosse,
"Everything operates normal except when I take off the tail swings left and right. Adjusting the "Gain" has no effect." Surprised

The gyro effect to upper rotor rpm, you may isolate it to test the yaw control by adjust gain to min then operate the heli to see the different(you may adjust the propotional to minimize the yaw).
If no different entire range adjustment of the gain that mean the Gyro.

platinum

St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:22 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Pjdog,
The Big Lama has a 3-in-1 ESC (same thing without the Rx) Gears are ok, all shafts are new, (must say I am disappointed in the new outer shaft having a slight wobble Sad , not happy at all)

Platinum,
The tests definitely points to faulty gyro. We test it by holding the heli up on the skids, running motors, and turning the heli left and right with ones hand. If the gyro is working fine, one will clearly feel a counter resistance while turning the heli.(Gyroscopic effect). This case, very low resistance, and no difference in adjusting the gain high or low.

In my original posting I was actually trying to find out if anybody every tried to repair one electronically. I can't find any circuit diagrams of the ESC and don't think they will be available freely on the internet in any case.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm
PostPost subject:

Yeah man, I would say unless you're some kind of soldering Jedi-master, you're just going to have to pop for a new 3-in-1. Those tiny boards are a pain in the ass to solder as it is, even with a diagram.

I really respect all you international guys for staying in the hobby through all your troubles, I think I really take for granted how good we have it (hobby-wise anyway) here in the US.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 am
PostPost subject:

nick_onelove wrote:
really respect all you international guys for staying in the hobby through all your troubles, I think I really take for granted how good we have it (hobby-wise anyway) here in the US.

It's a case of "What you've never had, you never miss" Nick. We have had to get by as best we can so that is what we do.

What never ceases to amaze me is why shipping the same artical from the US is 3 times the price from China (2~3 times the distance from the US). Really annoying is "Free Shipping" until you get to the checkout and it's "US mainland only". Again not so from China, of course the shipping is built in, but at least it is not dumped on you at checkout.

Tom.
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Got my big Lama up and flying last night. My supplier has a repair workshop and the Esky ESC was repaired at about $13 (new ESC price $62) Test flights were all normal. No funnies. Gyro very definitely back in full force.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 am
PostPost subject:

Good to hear bro.

I'm impressed with your guys' resourcefulness. If that had happened to me it would have been tossed in the junk drawer and a new one ordered without even a thought on the possibility of repair. 'Gotta try to think about things more and be less wasteful.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 am
PostPost subject:

St Bosse wrote:
Got my big Lama up and flying last night. My supplier has a repair workshop and the Esky ESC was repaired at about $13 (new ESC price $62) Test flights were all normal. No funnies. Gyro very definitely back in full force.

No idea what he did have you? Be interesting to know. I would have gone for this one, but you even saved on that! Well done. Razz

Good that you got it sorted anyway.

Tom.
St Bosse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 am
PostPost subject:

Unfortunately I was in an awkward situation and decided to go ahead with the repair. I did however order the ebay one as well. Still somewhere in the post.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: