Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:23 am
PostPost subject: Simulators and 4ch Coaxials

I'm getting my first 4 channel helis soon (a Big Lama and a Colibri V4) and I'm wondering if heli simulators are going to be of use to me. I know that I won't have the same range or types of movements available to me with a Coaxial but will a simulator give me some useful PC flight time...will there be enough common ground to bother getting a simulator up and going? Are there simulators that feature coaxials?
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:08 am
PostPost subject:

Howdy Tom:

Clearview has Co-axail helicopters. I used it when first starting. Co-axails are very easy to fly but in the begining you will crash what ever your flying. So the similator is probably a good investmant. Sooner or later your going to want a single rotor so why not get that simulator now. They will save in repair bills. And you can always fly the simulator no matter what the weather is.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Jack
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:14 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for that.

I got Clearview as it seems to be very popular and even with the keyboard alone it is clear it will help. I also ordered the Esky Simulator with their transmitter/controller so hopefully that will emulate my (hopefully soon to be arriving) Big Lama's controls well. It seems no one does a CV Big Lama model which is a shame but the principle will apply it seems.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Tom,

The co-axials in ClearView are all pretty much the same. The Big Lama does require some careful setting up for a stable flight. Main problem I found was the Esky Tx which has very limited control, so I swopped the Rx to Spektrum and used my DX6i instead. Makes a big difference and the Tx batteries last very much longer.

I was wondering about making a CV BL but the "Wee Jock" you will find on my section of the ClearView models page (down towards the bottom) is very like it in performance. Of course it looks nothing like it! It's been made out of a real box of bits. Not much of the original remains.

Tom.
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:00 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:

Main problem I found was the Esky Tx which has very limited control, so I swopped the Rx to Spektrum and used my DX6i instead. Makes a big difference and the Tx batteries last very much longer.

Way, WAY up in the sky over my head I'm afraid!

Spektrum RX (receiver?)? 4ch? 6ch? Does it come with the Transmitter?Drop in part or needs fiddling?

DX6i? Bank manager time or hobbiest stuff?

The Big Lama will be my first 4ch heli and I'm not one for competition flying, just reliable put-putting and frolics...I do want a good shot at a good experience though.

Whatcha think? Would it REALLY make that much of a difference for a newbie to 4ch and a "fun-flyer"? How would the differences manifest themselves?
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 am
PostPost subject:

Wee Jock...I like it as I live in Inverness BTW! Laughing

Thanks for that, just loaded it. Can't wait for the trainer "TX" to show up!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm
PostPost subject:

Tom.
My wife comes from Peebles and we have spent a lot of time in Scotland and the Northern Isles. My BL is now called "Big Jock" a sort of brother to "Wee Jock". You asked
Quote:
Spektrum RX (receiver?)? 4ch? 6ch? Does it come with the Transmitter?Drop in part or needs fiddling?

The Esky and the Spektrum receivers are both 6 channels See pic below:-

It is not a "Drop in Replacement" and you will need a DX6i or better DSM2 compatible Transmitter. More Bank Manager than hobbiest. But with a 10 model capacity and full programming it will stand you in good stead for a while to come. My DX6i came with my Blade 400 heli and I now use it for my EXI 450 and the BL as well. Saves taking too many Txs' with you!

Tom.
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Is the switch over to a digital RX straightforward? Do the servo leads/plugs in the heli need changing or are the BL leads/plugs compatable with the digital RX's outputs? Is there a separate powe supply/battery for the RX or does it draw from the flight battery?

Could be worth the investment as I am also getting a Colibri V.4 and that is digital as well...might as well get used to one TX and program each heli into the TX. I assume there is a lead to use to bind individual helis to the TX and program the TX for it?

Does the DX6i hold trim settings or do you have to re trim every time you run up an individual heli?

Sorry for so many questions. Embarassed
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:33 pm
PostPost subject:

I was just looking at a Spektrum AR6100E RX and it says it works with 3.5 to 9 volt electrical systems but the Big Lama uses a 11.4 volt battery. Does this mean one needs a separate battery for the RX or is there a power output from the control board that has a lower voltage output for the RX?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:12 am
PostPost subject:

We seem to have taken over this thread Tom. I wonder if we should move it over to the Big Lama secton, seems more appropiate there. Perhaps Admin will shift us?

To answer your first question:
The power for the Rx comes from the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) and that is always in the required 3.5V to 9V cut down to 4.8V from the 11.1V flight battery of the BL. I am using the Rx with no electrical problems.

The servo lead connectors are compatible and no alteration is required. However, the rudder connector must NOT be put into the rudder socket. The DX6i in Heli mode supplies an output suitable for a gyro and this is not compatible with the 4-in-1 or 3-in-1's currently in use with co-axials. You must use the "Gear" channel and in the DX6i's "MIX 1" mix rudder to Gyro both at 100%. Unless you do this the rotors will not turn. (Please don't ask why explaination is above!)

The Colibri V4 is not DSM2 as far as I can find out and will therefore need a Spektrum Rx fitted. I get mine from this supplier, very reliable and good prices.

The DX6i holds trim tab settings for all 10 models set, but if your helicopter requires trim, then it is not set up correctly. Get into the habit of setting up with no trim as when you eventually go inverted (not with a Co-Ax) all trims are reversed and the result is usually a spectacular crash.

It's always better to ask questions than to wonder what the answer might be.

Tom.
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi everyone,
Let's share experience on changing the radio system of Big Lama.
I use Flysky FS-TH9X transmitter and use 6 CH Flysky receivers to control
my two BL. Changing the receivers are easy but the hard part is to setting
and trimming to mach the machines.
Thanks for all information.

platinum
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: