Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMGeezer
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 am
PostPost subject: Big Lama questions

The Big Lama seems to be the largest coaxial on the market and looks OK for flying outside in very light wind. I have a few questions for anyone flying the Big Lama.
How easy is it to work on?
How sturdy is it? Will it take minor crashes without coming apart or will a moderatly hard landing destroy the skids or other parts?
What is the flight time you can actually expect?
Are repair parts readily available on the internet?
How stable is it in a hover?
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Having converted to the Hirobo Quark, I have to admit I haven't flown a Lama for a while so actually I wasn't aware that a "big" Lama was released Shocked

But one rule of thumb when it comes to rc heli is that generally the bigger the heli, the more stable it'll fly. Also, co-axial helis are always inherently more stable than single rotor models (even the famed quark isn't as stable as the co-axials).

So when you combine these two factors together plus the fact that the Lama line has a pretty good track record, I think it's safe to speculate that the big lama will be a stable flyer indeed. Smile
jlvr51
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:43 am
PostPost subject: RE: Big Lama Question

RTF out of the box ::: for the most part that is ... minor adjustments
Spare Parts ::: several sites supplies parts
Maintenance ::: very easy to repair
Ease of flight ::: quite stable even in about 2mph wind; good choice for beginner/intermediate
Crash ratio ::: quite responsive scale flying ... avoid sudden flight character changes or the heli will come down sideways
Expected parts breakage ::: top blades; fuselage (thin plastic); canopy shoring (also plastic tubing)

Overall rating ::: 4 stars IMO ---> very happy with my Big Lama Smile
NMGeezer
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:53 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the reply's. I was in Tucson,AZ Jun 23 and went into a local hobby shop, they had a CX2 in stock at a good price so I went ahead and purchased it along with some spare parts for my MCX. The CX2 is working great but the size of the Lama is still interesting and should be fun to fly.
sfcarlson
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm
PostPost subject:

I have an E-Sky Big Lama, an E-Flite blade CX2 and a CX3. My Big Lama is by far my favorite followed by the CX3 and then CX2. The CX3 gets flown when my BL is down for repairs and the CX2 is now a dedicated trainer I set up for teaching my kids and friends how to fly.

Personally I think the BL is more fun to fly because it's larger and more realistic then the other two, but it will also get away from you more easily if you get overly aggressive on the sticks. It's definately better for outdoors, but still limited to a very calm day because it's a coaxial. Wind and light coaxial heli's don't mix well.

BTW, I have never experienced any issues with blade strikes on any of my coaxials running stock length shafts and I fly pretty aggressively. However, I also know better than to jam the stick from full forward back to reverse, which will cause the balance bar and the lower blade to contact or throw a coaxial heli into a 'death roll', inducing a crash that will definately break one or more main components.

For the price of the Big Lama from xheli.com you can't go wrong. Get one and keep flying and fixing it until you can fly without crashing and you'll be hooked on this hobby like I am.

Cheers!
-Spence
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:32 pm
PostPost subject:

I have a Big Lama and it flies very well. Very stable. It is very light so wind will push it around. I also stick in the ground like a lawn dart. Busted up the fuse but mostly broke the attachment points that are like small hard fuel line. I taped the fuse back together replaced a 'A' main blade and went flying again. It's a tough bird. Esky makes good stuff.

I get 10 minutes on a flight before I have to put more power in it to keep it in the air. Comes with a 11.1 volt 800 mAh battery. For the money it's a real good buy. Got mine from xheli.com. Also bought lots of parts with it. Blades, blade holders and fly-bar. So far all I've needed was 'A' blades. I did go to Esky home page on the net a got metal rotor head parts. Looks cool. I also got another body (red/white/blue) just in case the red body falls apart from the crash. The red body is much prettier. I also fly it in the house. It's real stable and easy to control. How I stuck it in I'll never know. I think it was a brain fart. Chopped power at 10 feet up. Was headed towards a tree in wind.

I would buy it again.

jack
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 am
PostPost subject:

Not sure how much MORE convincing you need about the big lama...but I've got one too and I think the thing is awesome. Not meant for aggressive flying of course. I've had it out in 6-7 mph winds and experienced some problems but managed to bring it back with no major probs. Very easy to work on.
Unsatisfied with battery holder/compartment and extremely flimsy fuselage.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:38 am
PostPost subject:

I too was unsatisfied with the battery security. In fact it fell out while flying. I got some Velcro at Ace Hardware and made an additional strap to secure it in the helicopter.

jack
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 am
PostPost subject:

I have two Big Lama. For flying in the clam day. Thanks for all interesting information posts.

platinum

platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 pm
PostPost subject:

I was unsatisfied with the battery security too. And I want to use the 950 mAh batteries which thicker too. So I did as shown in the following photos. It OK.

platinum

mjg44mjg
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:44 am
PostPost subject:

I too fly a big lama.. The first flight out of the box for me was disaster.. I had serious blade strike because I was a bit jumpy on the sticks and the inner shaft is too short...
I ended up breaking all 4 blades.. bent inner and outer shaft. stabilizer bar went flying, broke the landing skids and cracked up the body and broke all 4 body mounts... After getting all the parts to fix her and the extended inner shaft and putting her back together, she flies great, nice hover.. Made a few adjustments to servo linkages and its pretty stable, I flew her for about 10 minutes tonight and the battery could have went for a few more minutes.. I would definately recommend this heli.. It is extremely easy to work on, parts are readily available and rather inexpensive.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 am
PostPost subject:

I noticed that the receiver on the Big Lama can be replaced. So I was wondering if it could be replaced with a Specktrum receiver so I can use my DX6i? I dont have the receiver or the Lama but I am planning on getting one just because I want something that is a little slower than my MCPX. Also cause it's coaxial. I want big low and slow. Chase squirrels around the yard. Thanks all.
Tom

And they just look nice.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:02 am
PostPost subject:

carr52 wrote:
I noticed that the receiver on the Big Lama can be replaced. So I was wondering if it could be replaced with a Specktrum receiver so I can use my DX6i?

I wrote two PDF setups for just that thing Tom.

DX6i & fitting Rx in a Big Lama.
and
Dual Rates for Big Lama.

I used this Rx " $5.99 from HK.

Let me know how it goes - works well for me. Razz

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 am
PostPost subject:

Thats great tombo thanks. Now for step one, buy the Big lama and the receiver. Thanks again.
Tom
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 am
PostPost subject:

Your very welcome Tom,

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: