Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:21 am
PostPost subject: Big Lama vid

I'm gettin' a little better in very light wind. Haven't crashed in quite some time. Sorry for the flying out of the camershot, I don't have a cameraman and still trying to find good little spot for the camera.
I'm also not very hot on the editing.

Link
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 am
PostPost subject:

Good show menakit1. Looks like the Lama and you are getting along very well.

I started a spreadsheet on all my helicopters so I can determine how much per flight of fun it cost. I broke the metal rotor head on my Falcon and the wife so a little nasty with the expense of maintaining the fleet of helicopters.

Jack
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks PJ,
I'm still in love with this heli and I'm up to three batteries now... on relatively calm days I'm flying around 6 times in-between work/school. Contrary to all advice given by everyone I've read from, I really just can't use flight simulators to get myself prepared for the next level of heli... so I'm using this as much as I can to get ready for one I step up. And I won't be stepping up for quite some time, until the tail in/nose in/side in controls are better than second nature to me.
Been thinkin' about making my next level heli, a trex 450. Not sure though. I got couple months to decide.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 am
PostPost subject:

Hi menakit1,

Good video, I found the only way to keep the model in camera is to strap the camera to the Tx and use the aerial as a sight. Seems to work quite well as long as you don't tip the Tx sideways as I tend to do when flying, always to the left for some reason, haven't worked out why. Getting back to your take off spot was great, I like that.

I think the T-Rex would be great as long as you are happy about selecting the parts and building. Just one question, why can't you learn from the sim? You're the first one to say this and I'd really like to know why.
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Hi menakit1,

Good video, I found the only way to keep the model in camera is to strap the camera to the Tx and use the aerial as a sight. Seems to work quite well as long as you don't tip the Tx sideways as I tend to do when flying, always to the left for some reason, haven't worked out why. Getting back to your take off spot was great, I like that.

I think the T-Rex would be great as long as you are happy about selecting the parts and building. Just one question, why can't you learn from the sim? You're the first one to say this and I'd really like to know why.

I can honestly say that there is no way I would have thought of strapping the camera to the Tx. I'm gonna try it sometime.
The sim question... is a good question. And I have only an illogical answer: I just can't stand practicing without the real hands on experience, ESPECIALLY if it reminds me of a video game. When I'm out there with a real rc heli - I am constantly alert of the fact that my money is on the line which makes the learning process (in my brain) faster and my willingness to do crazy stunts absolutely ZERO.
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 am
PostPost subject: strapped the camera to TX

Tombo242,
I couldn't wait to try the camera strap to the Tx... so here it is: instant gratification. And boy do I suck at it. It takes a considerable amount of concentration to fly the heli and point the Tx directly at it the whole time... ESPECIALLY when landing close to you. So, it'll take some practice.
Thanks for the advice:

Link

Last edited by menakit1 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 am
PostPost subject:

For a first try that is excellent menakit1, barely goes out of shot. Makes a big difference doesn't it? Smile You must be in the States, it was dark for me when I wrote that reply.
Takes some practise, but it does come. Not a thing that you can use a sim for really!

On the sim point I find that if I count each crash at around $25.00 (USD for you, €20.00 Euros for me) repair cost and keep a log of the total, when it reaches enough I have to take the wife out for a great meal (or whatever she wants). This adds a spice to the sim and takes away the "Can't Lose" syndrome. Your repairs really do set you back in real time and that eats into your real repair fund.
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:41 am
PostPost subject:

Oh yah man... I'm out here in CA. RIGHT by the ocean which is not so hot for wind conditions. So my learning curve has been a little steep, 'cause I'm not fond of flying indoors.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 am
PostPost subject:

You did a good job with the camera. Looks like you got the Lama mastered.

I hit my F-150 today flying the Lama in the garage. It was so winding and the Sion was already out so I tried flying with just one car out. Got to close to the truck. Put four scraches in it. Didn't hurt the Lama. Well two new 'A' blades. Guess I need more practice. Thought I was pasted the Lama but I guess not.

Jack
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:28 am
PostPost subject:

Ouch.. I would seriously go crazy on myself if I put a scratch in my car with a freakin' heli. When my wife's car was out, I flew it ONE TIME in the garage... and kept having thoughts of scratchin' my audi. I landed and took my butt back out to the windy back yard...which forced me to wait for better weather.
These heli's really teach patience. I love'em.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:28 pm
PostPost subject:

To fly in the North garden I have to take off in the garage, it's the only flat smooth bit there is!

Camera was not performing well at this stage so it's all a bit wobbly Sad . This is an unedited version - no cuts or titles. Click here to see.
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 pm
PostPost subject:

NICE area tombo.
And for a second there I thought you had the camera strapped to an rc car! you got wheels on that thing or something?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 am
PostPost subject:

No wheels just skids but it does start as it finishes, on the ground and hopefully the right way up Laughing .
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 am
PostPost subject:

It sure is pretty there in Portugal tombo. You must be very proud of your home. It’s so nice.

What helicopter were you using for the video. The B400 or your co-axial. I did notice an error. I saw house slippers on the pilot not sandals. I also noticed a very long antenna on your transmitter. What is the frequency in Portugal?

I must get a camera. But next month. I just dropped another $ 160.00 us on Blade Pro parts.

menakit1:

What camera do you use?

Jack
menakit1
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:58 am
PostPost subject:

pjdog wrote:

menakit1:

What camera do you use?

Jack

I'm using an old 5.1mp nikon coolpix p2. I bought it way back when and I've been satisfied with it all these years. Still works great - seein' as how my hobby was never photography... but I DO take alot'a pictures on my travels.
Nikon makes good stuff.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> LAMA All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: